Does an extra inch make a difference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I was bored today so took a ride to my favorite local pick-n-pull. There was an'06 Navi there with (IMO) ugly 18" OEM wheels (ok, they weren't horrible, just really shiny ) with newish tires. My 2003 Expy has 17" stock wheels and decent tires. It's a beach vehicle mainly, so I'm not worried about mileage or performance, but I care about not getting stuck and ground clearance ( which are related when it comes to driving on the beach) I'm wondering if it's worth the money to grab these . I assume it will cost me about $200. Do you think I will see a noticible difference when I air down to about 20psi? is it worth it to be able to get wider tires later?

On a side note, the black leather interior and black trim was GORGEOUS . If my truck was a DD I'd be asking about swapping more than tires

Last edited:

fordexpylvr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Talk about ugly wheels have you seen the 2018 Exp wheels on the XLT

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Talk about ugly wheels have you seen the 2018 Exp wheels on the XLT

These?

automobiles-new-2018-ford-explorer-1321435-left-front-rim-and-tire-photo-Image.jpg

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
18s vs 17s won't make a difference cuz overall tire height is the same due to lower profile tires

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did pretty much the same thing... except I was in the market for new tires and came across a new set off of a navigator the shop had from someone wjp upgraded their wheels/tires. They were the chrome clad type wheels, 18 vs my 17. Guy said he'd make me a good deal on them. Got them cheaper than a new set of tires. Like Gain-Mod said, the tire diameter is the same so no diff in mileage and ground clearance will be the same. I ran them in deep sand without airing down with no problem. You probably won't be able to air them down quite as far and/or the affect may be a bit less since you have a little less side wall but 17 to 18 isn't a huge difference. I liked them and ran them for many years... they said Navigator on the hub caps but you could only see that up close :).

OP
OP
jim midd

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks Bob, these sound like similiar wheels to what you had. I think I'm going to leave my 17's on. I like being able to air down and get a wide footprint when the weather has been dry and sand is extra soft

pdqcarrera

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim, I'm sure you're definitely better off with the taller aspect ratio 17" tires for the sand.

Not for a slalom course run though. LOL ;-)