Tint made all the difference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm in Florida, so it gets really hot in the summer and other seasons as well.
I was not able to open the moon roof in the daytime because the heat coming in would defeat the A/C. Also the heat coming in from my windshield was also doing the same thing. My black dashboard was untouchable. I would burn my hand if I touched it. My Son told me I should tint them. I didn't want to have them any darker than they already were, so I went with LLumar Air Blue 80 on both the panoramic roof and windshield.
It made all the difference in the world. There is virtually no colorization and most of the heat and 99% of UV rays are gone. My black dash maybe gets 120 degrees, but no longer scalding hot. And I can open my moon roof in the daytime and enjoy the light and the view.
My Platinum came with the rest of the windows, tinted with ceramic, so tinting my windshield and panoramic roof completely eliminated the damaging rays that cause interiors to get damaged.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just be careful. If you get in an accident and a cop wants to be a jerk, they'll find you at fault for everything if they determine you tinted the windshield.......

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just be careful. If you get in an accident and a cop wants to be a jerk, they'll find you at fault for everything if they determine you tinted the windshield.......

I despise vehicle owners that tint their front side windows and windshield so dark (in violation of the traffic laws) that it is impossible to determine if someone is inside - let alone allows me to see if the other driver can see me (such as at a round-about), changing lanes, turning, etc.

I wish the cops would enforce the tint laws more rigorously.

The extremely dark tint on the windshield and front side windows is also a safety issue, when law enforcement officers approach a vehicle.

ElectrifyCLT

Reaction score
Certain states have exceptions for getting windshields lightly tinted for eyesight purposes. I'm absolutely doing ceramic all the way around, minus windshield (don't have an exception).

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
People who put very dark tint on are trying to hide and/or are knowingly breaking the law. Today you do not need dark tint as the ceramics by nature repel a lot of heat. Even almost clear ceramic tint will make a huge difference. most states the front sides have legal limit on average of 35% but some like CA restrict to 70% and other a little lower. Front windshields in most states are banned from tint with the exception of the strip which is listed in Inches. Some like HI allow as low as 70% for the entire windshield.

I personally having tint for decades and dealing with cops over the years stay within the legal limits for 2 reasons.
1 - I do not need a reason for the police to pull me over.
2 - I do not need a reason for insurance to deny a claim which they will look for every little loophole to find.

With todays ceramics applying the legal limit tints will be just as effective controlling heat as using older traditional VERY DARK tint.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had tint on nearly every vehicle I've ever owned. I went ceramic starting with my last SUV and have stuck with it. It is indeed partly for looks, but my eyes are also very sensitive to light. I can't even keep the overheads on at home as they cause discomfort relatively quickly. I have ~20% on my truck.

Is the Llumar tint/film applied to the inside or outside of the glass?
Inside.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Interesting. But you'd also have to be (or drive like) an @sshole for them to go through the trouble of ticketing for that equipment violation as well.

And there is no need anymore to use dark tint except for looks. The Air Blue 80 is clear but does its job

Agreed. For my track car that is generally parked in a garage, I have Xpel Prime XR 70% on the front windshield and 55% on all the other windows. The reason for the near clear tint is so a car behind me can also see through my windows for better situational awareness.

For a future vehicle such as an SUV or pickup that will be parked outside all the time, I would probably consider Xpel Prime XR 55% on the front windshield, 35% on the front side windows, and 55% on all other windows that already have some level of tint from the factory. This would be the darkest I would go - I don't see value in going darker because it's not going to reduce the heat in the cabin enough to be worth the risk of having even further reduced visibility at night.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire