Does anybody else here do this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The computers can indeed save you but won’t if it thinks you want to turn. If you’re losing control in a turn, steering into the skid is the right advice because of you hold the wheel in the turn it will correct as if you intend to continue turning. You simply have to tell it where you want to go. The traction control system on these trucks is really, really good.

It’s not going to defy physics so all bets are off if it can’t find traction at all, but it’s very good at straightening out a fishtail or a spin out, especially scary ones at high speed. Braking individual wheels is highly effective at steering in an emergency.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, but it can’t beat physics, hence why I say to steer with the slide. If like most drivers you start to slide and you jamb on the brakes and steer against it the Advace Trac isn’t doing anything for you. If your wheels are against the slide no amount of braking will change the outcome. Never slam on the brakes if you start sliding either, that’s game over, only forward momentum can regain control.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah. AdvanceTrac knows that too, which is why it pushes back. ;)

Traction/friction is like a bank account, we learned in my motorcycle safety class years and years ago… if you write a steering check and a braking check at the same time, one’s gonna bounce!

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
99 has a point, although living in the Rockies, I found AWD helpful on ice and 4WD would let me drive out of trouble in situations where RWD would require a call to AAA. Rarely had to lock hubs but five miles of slick rocky road required it a few times.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Job security for fire fighters and ems personnel. That’s piss poor advice. 4a and the truck will know what to do

Lol.

Seriously. Lol.

Been driving for 24 years. All of them in areas that get snow/ice. Most years driving “dumb” vehicles without ABS or traction control. Very few years driving 4wd or AWD vehicles. NEVER been stuck, wrapped around a pole or off in a ditch. Never rear ended anyone or done any kind of vehicle damage.

But maybe you're right. Next time I’ll let go of the wheel, close my eyes and trust that a4wd will make miracles happen. Computers are smart!

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Lol.

Seriously. Lol.

Been driving for 24 years. All of them in areas that get snow/ice. Most years driving “dumb” vehicles without ABS or traction control. Very few years driving 4wd or AWD vehicles. NEVER been stuck, wrapped around a pole or off in a ditch. Never rear ended anyone or done any kind of vehicle damage.

But maybe you're right. Next time I’ll let go of the wheel, close my eyes and trust that a4wd will make miracles happen. Computers are smart!
They used make to vehicles without AC or power windows. Now find one without either. I been driving in Buffalo, since day 1. The Expedition is excellent in the snow. The worst I owned, was a 2wd, 92 Ford Ranger. I don't care if your Dale Jr., driving in snow blows without 4wd.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to mention good luck in 2HI when there is 3 inches of snow on the road with never ending traffic and you have to quickly accelerate, you aren’t going anywhere accept into a car while your rears spin away.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First thing I do when starting out in inclement weather conditions is stab the brakes from 30 and see how everything responds. I grew up in the middle of BFE and learned to drive on country roads in RWD vehicles without power anything and was taught to make sure you have an idea how long it would take you to stop. It made sense and the idea has stuck with me. Another way I’ve familiarized myself with the handling of new vehicles is after a nice helping of snow I find a car and light pole free parking lot, turn off all the driving aids and perform various driving and braking maneuvers to see how the vehicle responds. Then I turn everything back on and do the same thing. Gives you a good idea what you can expect in similar real world driving situations and what systems you need to turn off and how/when to do it. Much better than finding out after you’re already stuck in the tulips or you’ve hit something or been hit.

Exactly how I was taught to drive as well. People rely way too much on their vehicle to do everything for you. ABS is nice, but on slippery roads gently pumping your brakes will bring you to a stop in less distance than just holding that pedal to the floor.

Being comfortable going into a skid or when the ass-end slips out is the most important part of maintaining control. Having experienced it in a “controlled” environment allows you to maintain calm and apply corrective measures.

Using some common sense while driving in poor conditions is still most important. Doesn’t mean you can’t still have a little fun. Personally I won’t mess around if other drivers are around, but, on an empty road I’ll have a little fun.