Does anybody know when these trucks will be crash tested?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just curious. Literally my only hesitation with buying one site unseen

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just curious. Literally my only hesitation with buying one site unseen
I have looked high and low for some indication of when new models are crash tested...all to no avail. I'm going to buy it anyway, but I am just convincing myself that Ford wouldn't put out a product like this at this price-point without having first slammed it into enough walls that they are comfortable they'll get a 5-star score. Plus, the fact that it's largely built on F-150 architecture (which has been tested and proven) also gives me some comfort.

But, while I don't know the answer to your question, hopefully someone will.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IIHS hasn't tested the 2015-2017 either. :(

I think the only real difference between the F-150 and the Expedition would be rollover risk, and IIHS doesn't even rate that on the F-150. :(

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They did the 3rd gen but I can’t find 4th. This will show you the historical figures since 2nd and 3rd gen are similar, I’m sure they didn’t get worse.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NHTSA rated the 3rd gen at 4 out of 5 stars overall earning:

4 stars frontal impact
5 stars side impact
3 stars rollover

Final Result 4/5 stars or “Good” Rating

IIHS doesn’t do many full size SUVs for whatever reason including Expedition/Tahoe/Sequoia, so I wouldn’t plan seeing it.

oddwon

Reaction score
NHTSA rated the 3rd gen at 4 out of 5 stars overall earning:

4 stars frontal impact
5 stars side impact
3 stars rollover

Final Result 4/5 stars or “Good” Rating

IIHS doesn’t do many full size SUVs for whatever reason including Expedition/Tahoe/Sequoia, so I wouldn’t plan seeing it.

Front, offset, small offset both driver and passenger sides, and side. Takes wrecking 5 of them these days. You're looking $250K to test a vehicle with a limited market. I've always wondered how many manufacturers donate their cars to iihs and how many iihs has to buy.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Front, offset, small offset both driver and passenger sides, and side. Takes wrecking 5 of them these days. You're looking $250K to test a vehicle with a limited market.
Meh. I’d put that number closer to $200k, it doesn’t cost Ford more than $40k each to build and ship a bare-bones model. If you do it once a year that works out to $2-4 per vehicle sold depending on the year according to these stats. Once per generation, you’re talking less than 50¢ per sold, since they sold 529,105 3rd-gen Expeditions.

Pretty cheap, at just those numbers. There’s probably quite a bit more cost involved but it’s not a huge sum when you think about it on a per-sale basis.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev