Does this sound right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisK

Reaction score
126000 miles on the 98 eb. I'm looking to go to at least 160000. The body is in great shape the undercarriage just superficial rust. So far I've done oil, coolant, hoses, thermostat, plugs. What else should I look at?

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're just looking to go 160k, then I'd say you're good. Wouldn't hurt to service the transmission. My 98 has 195k and going strong. Lots of life left in her

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bc11

Reaction score
My 98 has 275,000. Don't forget the fuel filter which can be a bear to do. I could get the tool into the quick release on the fittings but couldn't get at to push the filter into the line to relieve the pressure to make it release. Finally I put the fuel filter tool into the fitting on the rear of the filter and with a pair of 8" linesman pliers I cut it off at the back of the filter. Then the stub came out of the line after working it with pliers. The filter would then hang down from the front enough I could push on it while holding the line with pliers to get it to disengage with the tool in it of course.

Definitely do the tranny filter and there is a thread on this page that addresses it. Remove all the bolts except the 4 corners watching to see if certain ones are longer so you get them back in the right spot. Loosen the 4 corners and if you hold it and catch it right you can get most of it to drain towards the lowest corner so you can catch most of it in a drain pan. I didn't get that lucky but I keep oil dry on hand. With the new filter replace all the bolts till finger tight. Then torque them up like an engine head alternating sides, etc. I did it once to half torque then did it again to full torque. Clean the bottom of the pan and any grit off the bolts. Dowse the bolts in fluid for lube or anymore I put anti-seize on every single bolt anywhere on the vehicle except spark plugs. Seems like there is always 2 or 3 that don't thread in very easy.

If you haven't done all four of the brakes then it is time for that so you don't have to worry for a long time. Might check the gear oil in the rear differential.

I've been through an alternator and last winter had a blowout in the side of the radiator which apparently is not uncommon on the passenger side towards the top. It was a real bear to get that bottom hose to release at the quick connect coupling as there isn't much room to get in there.

OP
OP
ChrisK

ChrisK

Reaction score
Brakes gotta get done within the next 2k miles. I want to have a good look at the ball joints, cv' s and do the shocks.

Any weird stuff with the brakes or is it straight forward? Also I hear a squeaking sound from passenger side when I go by curbs. Any Ideas?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik