Dome Lights Won't ALWAYS come on when doors opens.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeeeePIMPact

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2003 Ford Expedition. Sometimes when I go to open my doors my dome light does not come on. If I open and close the door a few times it will come on.

For example, I'll open and my rear drivers side door after unlocking the doors, the dome light won't come on... SO I'll open and close it a couple times and SOMETIMES the light will come on... SOMETIMES I have to open the drivers door and the lights will come on. SOMETIMES even after opening the drivers door the lights will not come on. BUT I've had more success opening and closing the drivers door a couple times to get the lights to come on.

Seems totally random. I've read elsewhere that it might be a faulty door ajar switch? Does anyone have an idea where to begin to troubleshoot something like this?

Thank you in advance!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Spray some silicone spray into the latch on all of the doors You may need to do this often. It should help free up the door ajar switch

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed, the latches need to be lubricated. Silicone spray works perfectly but for a slightly more long term fix you can use the blue grease Ford recommended for the "driveshaft bump" tsb. I'll get you a part number tomorrow.

OP
OP
D

DeeeePIMPact

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I heavily saturated the latches with "CRC Heavy Duty Silicone Spray". I hope that works. Wouldn't mind that blue grease part number you're talking about for future reference though.

Bedrck47 you're turning into my trucks guardian angel! :) 2 for 2 on the help on here! Good hearing from you! Brought a smile to my face in the time of frustration!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DeeeePIMPact

Reaction score
Still having problems... Would this blue grease work better than the silicone spray? Also, do either of you know the part number or much less, the cost of the latch if I was just to replace them?

OP
OP
D

DeeeePIMPact

Reaction score
I found this youtube video that lists the part numbers in the description... Being that this video is for a 2002-2005 Ford Explorer will the parts number still work for my Expedition?

OP
OP
D

DeeeePIMPact

Reaction score
I tried before I asked :) I used Rockauto's "Part Number Search" Tab at the top of the page using the first part number listed in the youtube description:

Motorcraft SW5648

Rockauto finds the part and shows it listed under the "Courtesy Light Switch" category. I then put in my trucks info "2003 Ford Expedition" in the "Parts Catalog" tab on Rockauto and did a search for "Courtesy Light Switch"
and it didn't return anything similar to the results that the "Part Number Search" tab did. :(

I then tried using Amazon's "Does this part fit your car" feature above the part linked from the youtube video and Amazon says the part does not fit my Expedition :(

So after putting in my cars info into Amazon I did a search for a "Courtesy Lamp Switch" and Amazon returned:

"Motorcraft SW5195 Courtesy Lamp Switch"
based on the youtube description it looks like there are 2 part numbers for the switch 1 part number for the left and 1 part number for the right side.

I don't know if the Part that amazon returned (Motorcraft SW5195) is for the left or right side... SO I went back to Rockauto and used the SW5195 part number and did a search and Rockauto says that part does not fit my Expedition :(

Kind of confusing... Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try this AIRTEX/WELLS 1S3679 {#SW3964, XF2Z14018AC, XF2Z14018AD} left side
AIRTEX/WELLS 1S1852 {#88924241, SW1980, XF2Z14018AA} right side

Look at rock auto Look under 2003 expy, electrical switch and relay, then look for door jamb switch.

OP
OP
D

DeeeePIMPact

Reaction score
FOUND IT! THANK YOU! You're a scholar and gentleman! :)

Now, I know I am going to push my luck here. BUT after looking closer at some of the bolts holding the switch on the door frame I've noticed that some of the hex bolts are pretty stripped.

Could you please tell me what the part number would be for those bolts?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire