Door doesn't latch in freezing 03 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
I had the same issue Polarizer describes above yesterday (single digit temps) - hosed it with WD40 - worked the pawl back and forth as best I could - couldn't see any effect of door switch on pawl - manipulated it with a screw driver and attempted again and it worked. Like Polarizer I would like to know the root cause - meanwhile I am keeping the now official door pawl screwdriver nearby.
LOL .. I used to have a 67 chevy van ... the neutral safety switch didn't work right so I frequently had to climb under the van with a big honker screwdriver and short out terminals on the solenoid to get it started. It was referred to as my STARTER SCREWDRIVER. It would spark like a welder if I didn't get it right. Worst was middle of winter lying upside down in a salty puddle. Second worst was in traffic coming home from a Dead concert on Exchange street in downtown Rochester - forgot to put it in park first, buddy stepped on the brake to save my legs. Oh the days. Wish I was making this up

I never had any luck messing with the pawl, only thing ever worked for me was lock unlock switch and that's been about 10 times over past 8 years

Last edited:

supermitch

Reaction score
Good find. This made me laugh :D

> "If I am able to get the vehicle to open by using the front doors..."​

Especially after crawling through the rear-passenger door the other day...

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
original lube dries out & hardens over time gunking up with dirt, add moisture/salt etc = issues arising, sometimes only with xtreme temps

might be an easy outside fix, if not, door panel off, clean & (re)lube as required using the right stuff

Last edited:

Drae

Full Access Members
Reaction score
original lube dries out & hardens over time gunking up with dirt, add moisture/salt etc = issues arising, sometimes only with xtreme temps

might be an easy outside fix, if not, door panel off, clean & (re)lube as required using the right stuff

Yep Silicone sprays are not your friend when it comes to long term lubrication. They will clean out any old grease and dry out over time then rust the lock mechanisms out after moisture sets in.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had this problem on my 05 when the temps dropped into the single digits. I think it happens because the grease freezes not allowing the latch to spring to the latched position. I have used a heat gun to heat the latch the mechanism. Not the kind that you use to burn off old paint but the kind we use for Super Monokote covering on model air planes. It heats to about 400 degrees. By heating the latch you warm up the grease drive off any water and once it working, hit it with some PB Blaster to lubricate it and displace any moisture still left in the lock. A hair dryer might work but it may not get hot enough when it's 0 degrees outside.

llhoneymoons

Reaction score
Same issue with my '08 Mountaineer. I have to activate the latch a few time and it usually does the trick, but colder days are coming so hopefully that still works.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any of you have issues with your door unlocking below freezing? Mine this last week won’t unlock by the fob on the drivers side when it’s cold. As soon as it’s above freezing bam it works again. Been having to use the key if the temp is low out.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any of you have issues with your door unlocking below freezing? Mine this last week won’t unlock by the fob on the drivers side when it’s cold. As soon as it’s above freezing bam it works again. Been having to use the key if the temp is low out.
I've never experienced that problem with my 05 and I went through a couple of weeks of consistent -18 to -12 degree temps.