Dorman solutions actuator success? (First post)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JumpUpOnIt

Reaction score
Howdy,

I recently bought a 2003 XLT Expedition. It was in my company's fleet and I had been driving it a couple days a week for work. The truck hit 200k and I knew that they like to sell their vehicles when the mileage gets that high but it was still running like a dream so I made an offer and they took it. I'm glad they did, I love it.

Now I am working on the stuff that got neglected while it was in the fleet (mostly cosmetic and HVAC because they of course didn't care about looks or their employees comfort). I replaced the rear mode selector actuator with a Dorman Solutions part. It was a terrible fit, one of the brackets was so far offset that I couldnt get all the screws back in (confirmed that it is the right part), but it is working and the awful clicking is gone.

My question is, has anyone had success replacing the front blend door actuator with a Dorman part? Or is it known that this company is no good? I can get the aftermarket part for a third of the cost of a Motorcraft actuator but I dont want to get the fascia off the dash only to find out that the part wont fit.

Also, does the temp knob have to be in a certain position to get a new actuator installed?

Thanks

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The temp knob won't make a difference. I've replace my front blend door motor but I used Motorcraft. Can't speak for the dorman part.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you answered your own question about the quality of the Dorman part - as you said it was a terrible fit.

I would buy OEM Motorcraft part. Good luck.

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate using Dorman parts. I have used them for 40 years and have had good luck so far. I just replaced the passenger door window regulator on my kids 10 Expedition with a Dorman part and it was much more robust then the factory, and everyone should remember the factory part was already a failure. The Dorman part was under 90.00 on Amazon and Ford was 226.00. Time will tell as to life span of the new Dorman parts, most are foreign made now. But the factory parts I have replaced on my 05 Exp were foreign as well, Canada and Mexico.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replacing the the front is fairly easy its under dash and fairly accessible (lots of you tube vids on how to do the job) I am not a big fan of Dorman on certain parts. That being said I did replace both actuators in the rear with Dorman. The Ford part did not last so if I have to keep replacing I going with the less expensive option. The only difference between the two parts is that OEM uses a small metal main gear VS plastic from Dorman. But issue with OEM is that the metal main gear turns a plastic gear and the plastic gears teeth break off.

OP
OP
J

JumpUpOnIt

Reaction score
So I found out later that the rear mode actuator from Dorman that I bought was actually the part for the EB edition, which is why it didnt fit good (it strikes me as odd that the part would be slightly different for the XLT and EB but according to amazon and the guys at the parts store that is the case). Must be because of the automatic climate control in the EB?

I did the front blend door actuator a few days ago using the Dorman part as well and it's working for now. I found this repair to be a PITA but was able to do it without pulling the dash. Cost less than 35 bucks.

bavism

Reaction score
If there are different part # between XLT and eddie bauer that makes sense the incorrect part would not fit well. I was shocked to read the dorman part didn't fit because I've replaced both of my rear actuators with ones from Dorman and both fit 100%. And since both OEM and Dorman will most likely fail again due to poor design, I chose to go with Dorman since Oreilly's lists them with a lifetime warranty. Having to routinely change them is a bit of a pain, but at least I don't have to keep buying them.

Matt