Driveshaft balancing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Correct me if im wrong. But driveshafts on these trucks should have a weight on them for balancing right? Because mine doesnt, and I have a wicked vibration coming from the back at 45mph.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well, since it's 4wd, take off the rear and go for a drive.

I had a problem on my Explorer with the front shaft. It was bound up (dried out the slip joint) and it vibrated like crazy. I got a new one built for it (bigger, stronger, better....) but a driveshaft shop could work with your shaft fairly inexpensively if that is the culprit.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also take a look at your control arms: upper and lower. They are known to rust and could cause a vibration if they are bad enough.

OP
OP
B

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well, since it's 4wd, take off the rear and go for a drive.

I had a problem on my Explorer with the front shaft. It was bound up (dried out the slip joint) and it vibrated like crazy. I got a new one built for it (bigger, stronger, better....) but a driveshaft shop could work with your shaft fairly inexpensively if that is the culprit.

This is probably my next move.