Efan help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bundy34

Reaction score
I have 97 EB 5.4 and am interested doing an efan conversion. I have searched around for some info but was hoping someone could direct me to a how-to. Especially on how to wire it up and attach the fans to the radiator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
bundy, what part of VA are you in? I'm just over the boarder in So MD. I have done the e-fan conversion on my truck and wouldn't mind helping you get yours in.

As for what to buy, that is a loaded question. I think the first answer I would have to ask is how much money are you willing to spend for a mod like this? I can install an e-fan mod for around $60, but I can almost garantee you in a year that you are going to have issues with it. On the other hand, you can spend $500 on a nice setup that will have a person scratching their head as to where the wires go. To do a nice setup, you can plan on spending about $250. Most of that is going to be on the controllers for the fans. This is where most people go wrong in my opinion. They think "a controller is a controller". On the contrary. I'm sure there are some other members that will back me up on this. The cheapy controllers (ie, the wire wound controllers) are good for the short term, but in the long term are going to give you all sorts of trouble. Normally they will fail to turn on the fans. As you can probably imagine, that would be bad. On the flip side, there are some pretty trick controllers out there that have more features than you can probably ever think about using. Stick with a simple controller that has a built in relay. They normally have a small adjustment pot on the side that allows you to set the temp. That is all that you really need. Get 2 of them. I say this because of 2 reasons: 1) most controllers are only capable of handling the current draw of a single fan, so you would have to come up with a way to turn on the second fan or risk damaging the single controller, and 2) having the fans offset, this is easier on the electrical system and the cooling system in that you are not shocking the systems with either a heavy draw (can be upwards of a 40 amp draw) or a temperature shock (lots of cool air suddenly applied to the hot water will cause it to rapidly cool, leading to thermal stresses).

When it comes to fans, most guys have opted for the dual 14" fans. Some have squeezed in dual 16's. The big thing that you want to look for is a combined air flow of atleast 3,000 cfm of air between your fans. So, getting dual 1,500 cfm fans would work. See what you can find and go from there.

As for the details of the fans, you will find that they will come in a few flavors. You have the:
-high air flow, with lots of noise, but low current draw
-high air flow, with little noise, but high current draw, or
-low air flow, with little noise, but low current draw.

This all has to due with how the blade arrangement is done on a given fan. If you don't mind a little bit of noise, the noisy fans are going to be the cheapest normally that will meet what you need. But, most of what you are going to find are the low flow/low current fans.

Let me know if you have any questions. I personally bought dual Derale 14" fans with no name electronic controllers.