EGR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shabadoo

Reaction score
Every car will react differently but theoretically, if you remove the EGR you'll probably see a small increase in HP at cruising loads when the valve is typically open the most. If my info. is correct, the EGR valve closes the higher the load because the richer A/F ratio reduces NOx. At WOT it's fully closed so you won't see any gains there. Also, you'll most likely see a decrease in fuel mileage. Additionally, and0r is correct in saying EGR causes considerable wear on an engine. Check out this graph from a 2011 paper in Applied Energy by Deepak Agarwal, Shrawan Kumar Singh, and Avinash Kumar Agarwal.

Effect of EGR on Wear.JPG

Granted, that's from a small two-cylinder diesel engine but it's only 96 hrs of running......you don't want to see the difference in carbon buildup. While I'm not advocating it, unless you live in a state which requires inspections that include emissions testing (VA), no one will bother you. Except maybe for that one mechanic that figures out what you did and reports it. Personally, it's bad for the environment and not worth it to remove.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the EGR on the smaller 4.6 v8 though.

Last edited:

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 5.4 pumps out a lot of fire. It has a very, very large interfering stroke. Not a good idea to recycle this unfiltered exhaust into the intake system, especially at higher RPMs.
It certainly fouls the oil, at the very least.

Last edited:

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2v 5.4 is definitely the most powerful engine in its class, by a significant margin.
This engine is terribly underrated, and is one of a kind, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Leave the EGR. Helps with vacuum and fuel economy. The whole idea of a EGR deleat came from diesel cars/trucks because exauset heat hurts turbo effency they go as far as adding a temp sensor to monitor it. You will not gain a single thing. Join ford truck enthusest you will get more info it’s guys running F250/350 with the 5.4 I learned a whole lot there. Give it a go

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I had one off an old Saturn. It was loaded with carbon build up and not closing. It had CEL and a hesitation on acceleration. I clean it and car ran like new. It looked to be a simple open/close flap. It is a valve and not open 100% of time. Exhaust gases are not constantly going through engine. I wonder, if leaving it closed(disconnect), to exhaust would be an easy experiment for you to try. I personally would not mess with it. People think the 5.4l is some hot rod motor, its not. It is low rpm/compession work horse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CCANDELARI

CCANDELARI

Reaction score
May I just say that I am sincerely impressed! I mean that and thank each of you for taking the time to explain. Nice touch with the chart by the way!
Okay... here’s what I’m going to do. I’m either going to clean out the EGR system and throttle body or replace with New parts. I didn’t like the idea of carbon build up. I don’t want to even chance reducing gas mileage. I don’t like the idea of my truck smelling inside. Those were the reasons and I couldn’t have come to that decision with out your input! Thank you ~ Chad

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
May I just say that I am sincerely impressed! I mean that and thank each of you for taking the time to explain. Nice touch with the chart by the way!
Okay... here’s what I’m going to do. I’m either going to clean out the EGR system and throttle body or replace with New parts. I didn’t like the idea of carbon build up. I don’t want to even chance reducing gas mileage. I don’t like the idea of my truck smelling inside. Those were the reasons and I couldn’t have come to that decision with out your input! Thank you ~ Chad

I took of mine off cleaned them on a bench with a old toothbrush making sure to do butterfly both sides of the throttle body. Used break clean didn’t have any carborator cleaner. No smell at all all items air dried did outside myself.

Best of luck on your decision