Electric Supercharger?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
SCAM!!!

Put simply... electric fans cannot compress air. They are generally rated in cfm's in free air. Seriously doubt the cfm's would be sufficient as well at zero pressure. Restrict the air and the cfms can drop to zero. They are ok at moving air but if you restrict the flow they will either freewheel and/or air will be force back out through the blades. You need a centrifugal, screw or roots setup to actually compress air (boost) at any appreciable cfm of air flow. If you understand the power it takes to drive one of these you would know that a small electric motor is simply incapable of delivering it. An electric motor that size is a small fraction of a hp regardless of what they may claim.

A typical supercharger takes a minimum 25+ hp to drive it under boost conditions. You may think a turbo is free hp but consider for every pound of boost it creates it increases exhaust backpressure by a like amount. While it is more efficient it still requires significant power to run. Superchargers are also size as per application. A small displacement motor requires less cfm's to create boost than would a larger one. One size does not fit all.

Installing one of these fans in a large displacement motor such as the expy will more than likely just create a restriction in flow. Considering if the tubing is the same size or smaller than the stock intake you then have the motor and fan blade taking up maybe 50% of the available volume. I would be very surprised if the hp did not actually drop by installing one of these on an expy.

Last edited:

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
These 'superchargers' are usually just marine blower fans for exhausting fumes from engine compartments.

It might work on a go kart.

With the way that ebay is so concerned about fraud, I can't believe that they continue to let people sell these things on their site. I think that I may list some magic beans on there later tonight.

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey!!! Just thought of another use for them :)

You know the 3" hole in the fender for the air filter intake?.. Jam one in there and it will cool your engine compartment... :) j/k
:head3:

Whack

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The blower can't actually add enough pressure to add any boost.

Little example... The supercharger on the Merc SLR McLaren takes about 120 hp just to run... it can create 13psi of boost for the 5.5L engine. It more then makes up for it, as the engine can make a total of 617hp with the help of the supercharger.

in terms of energy, this supercharger needs about 89,000 watts... the electrical systems in most cars or trucks maxes at about 1300 to 1900 watts without having to run anything else.

So an electrical supercharger is absolute bunk!

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Early on in my search for more horsepower I went through many trials, and finally settled on the shop vac solution ...

BlowerCloseup_zpscb0a8e6d.jpg

Of course I needed a new air filter for my marketing photos ...
KNBlowerWeb_zps2703c02c.jpg

I'll have to cut a hole in the hood so I'll be able to drive with the hood closed....
KNBlower2Web_zpsab371767.jpg

I'm thinking of installing an inverter to extend my overall range....
ExtensionCordBlowerWeb_zps69bc7d1c.jpg

But in the end I decided it's just a truck, not a dragster, so I returned the supercharger ....
RigidVacBlowerWeb_zps12c66318.jpg

-Mike

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
:Big Laugh:

You can always tow an electric generator behind the vehicle and plug it in!! Shortens the cord necessary significantly.

Out of curiosity I checked the PSI capacity in both an electric leaf blower and my shop vac. Didn't go as far as hooking them up to the vehicle.. lol. Leaf blower could make 0.5 psi boost at zero cfm. (Air flow completely cut off). Shop vac managed 1.5 psi same conditions.

And both are technically centrifugal blowers. :)
Just not very precision machined ones.

Last edited: