electrical fuse 15

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know when I pull fuse 15 my issue is resolved. Issue: My interior lights turn on and my running board lights and stay on. It just happened one day as I was getting out the lights turned on when I opened the door and then everything stayed on. I may have just answered my own question because it sounds like the door sensor when I type it now. I am just mostly confused by how the lights would be staying on like this. If there was a short then they would not work. If the door switch is jammed closed the circuit then this could be one possible cause. Something like that makes sense for a sensor to close the circuit. I have replaced the dash switch already but I have not done the door sensor...

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a suggestion.

Its always nice to know the year and model of your expedition especially when it comes to electrical problems. Having that information in a signature line saves you from having to do it every time you make a new post.

You mention fuse #15 but fail to mention which fuse box that fuse is located in. Battery Junction Box (under Hood) or Central Junction Box (under Dash).

Having that information readily available take the guess work and confusion out of the problem and also helps others that are trying to help you.

OP
OP
studabaker

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score

2001 EXPEDITION AWD

fuse 15 under the steering wheel.

I also notice that the door ajar light is not on yet the same function is activated as if the door was open.

This is the only thing that makes sense except that the ajar indicator is not on. Does anyone know where the door sensor is? it must be part of the lock or something because I dont see any other sensor.

Somehow this is signaling without the ajar signal??????? I am assuming the drivers door because that is primarily the only one i use.

Thank you

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does the door ajar lamp come on when any other doors or lift-gate or lift-gate window is open?

Fuse #14 15 amp Battery Saver Relay, Interior Lamp Relay
Fuse #15 5 amp Generic Electronic Module (GEM), Brake Pedal Position (BPP) Switch

When you pull fuse #15 you are removing power to the GEM The door ajar circuits go thru the GEM.

Instead of pulling fuse #15 pull #14 and see what happens

Problem.
The courtesy lamps stay on continuously

Circuit(s).
GEM.
Interior lamp relay.
Fuse junction panel.
Headlamp switch (11654) (overhead interior lamp switch).
Door open warning lamp switch

Problem
The running board lamps do not operate properly (other courtesy lamps operate)

Fuse(s).
Circuit(s).
GEM.
Trailer tow battery charge relay

OP
OP
studabaker

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have noticed I need a sightly heavier brake pedal press to stop.

I have actually gotten a GEM from picknpull and swapped that out which is in a very awkward position.

My door ajar light comes on as I exit still from the drivers side. yet my courtesy lights are not functioning which is saving my battery.

I still have this gps thing from the used dealership i got the vehicle from which i have been meaning to take off but its tied to the ignition so need more info to pull correctly. if I didnt make a payment the whole car would shut down. All paid off now though.

My best bet is to track from the drivers door sensor somehow from the fuse or from the gem. So from the fuse to the gem should be fine but there must be a signal wire into the gem which is messed up which engages the courtesy lights independent of the door ajar sensor but maybe in the same circuit somehow....

thnx for reply

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your answers are very confusing In one reply you say "I also notice that the door ajar light is not on yet" In your next post you say "My door ajar light comes on as I exit"

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did the GEM you got from the picknpull have the same numbers on it as the original GEM?

And why did you replace the GEM?

OP
OP
studabaker

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So with the fuse pulled the door ajar light functions as it normally does, on all doors and the lights are not on.

With the fuse in the lights stay on and the door ajar light will function as it normally does but the lights just stay on. That is what is was trying to communicate that i am narrowing it down to this circuitry region of the courtesy lights which are normally related to the door operation but the ajar signal seems to be functioning correctly. I believe it should be narrowed down to that. I am not sure yet until i resolve it of course.

Well I suspected the GEM.

Its a brain buster. I am not a mechanic or electrician. I will pull 14 and post tomorrow but i just did the cv axles and done for the day.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
check your light switch to see if the dimmer switch is in the on position. its the thumbwheel try to turn it to a midway position

PANEL DIMMER CONTROL
Use to adjust the brightness of the
instrument panel during headlamp
and parklamp operation.
• Rotate up to brighten.
• Rotate down to dim.
• Rotate to full up position (past
detent) to turn on interior lamps.
• Rotate to full down position (past
detent) to turn off interior lamps.