Electrical gizmo - instrument cluster gone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Stan

Reaction score
Well - I discovered another symptoms that might help to trace the problem. Today was a huge rain, and everything was wet. Also a lot of humidity in the air.
I was driving heaving A4WD mode on. I started to hear 'relay clicking' and the lamp A4WD disappeared. Then, after 2 or 3 seconds, I heard another relay click and the lamps:
A4WD,
Fuel Reset,
4x4,
Low Range,
Low Wash,
started to be ON. After a second or two, they went off and everything was normal.
This sequence (flashing these lamps and clicking) repeated a few times in a few minutes..
Also - third thing happened.
While driving on D, R, 1 or 2- the drivers power window couldn't be lowered - action up was no problem, and in the same time the rear wiper, couldn't be enabled. BUT, on the gears P and N everything was normal (wiper and window was working good), AND if I enabled the rear wiper on N, and then changed to D and started driving, the wiper was still working!! and I could turn it off. Hoverer once turned off, I couldn't turn it back on, unless I changed the gear to N or P. This happened in the same time as that 'clicking/flashing' part. Now - all is ok and all is working as supposed to (except for that oil lamp - no change with that).
I know I have a problem probably with wiring or plugs, but - there is so much cables and connections, that I need some point to start - I do not want to rip a whole car apart :)
Many thanks once again :)

B

bedrck46

sounds like a leaking windshield and water got into the fuse block/gem module.

OP
OP
S

Stan

Reaction score
Thanks for the replay - yes - in the meantime I did some googling and found the same explanation - tommo, if there is no rain I will be digging there to check it. Question - after I have the fuse box and GEM out of the car, is any chance that cleaning and contact spray would help? Of course I will also be looking for the hole or any other place of leak, but is my fuse box / GEM still has any chance?

B

bedrck46

you may have to pull the fuse box out and check to see if there is water in it The gem module can be taken apart and checked for signs of burn marks or corrosion on the circuit. The fuse box you will want to take and blow it out and also use a heat gun/hair dryer to get it dried out.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you get into the GEM, please post some pics so that we can see the numbers on the relays.

Other threads have discussed placing the GEM on a shoe rack in a clothes drier on low heat to evap the water. Until your windshield is resealed you are going to have this water in the fuse box / gem problem.

OP
OP
S

Stan

Reaction score
No raining today - so there is a chance to move forward with the diagnosis.:)
I read a lot about the leaky windshield in expeditions/navigators. But nobody posted information about specific points that needs to be sealed. Is it any point to look at?
I was calling to the shop that replaces and repairs the windshields, and they told me that it would be better to know what point is leaking. They do not want to take a risk to take the glass out of he car completely, as they do not have the replacement (in case it get broken during the process).

B

bedrck46

check on you tube for videos on removing the GEM, and checking for water leaks Look under Expedition or F150

OP
OP
S

Stan

Reaction score
Ok... so i pulled everything off the car. I have the GEM and the fuse box on the table. Ill post pictures later on. But. No signs of water whatsoever. On all surfaces there is just a regular dust layer. No corrosion, no burn signs. Everything is completely dry. I opened the GEM box, and found that inside it looks like a new. All fuses and relay contacts also dry and clean. I didn't opened the fusebox completely, but have the fuses relays out, and the box partially opened. All copper traces are shiny and dry.
What I'm not sure - are the two big plugs that are screwed to the back of the fuse box. If I was badly detailed, I would say that some of the big pins, are slightly wet (or better there is some signs of moisture). But, very very little, and I'm not sure if this is water or some sort of lubricant.
Well - looks like the symptoms are the same, but the cause would be different. Since I have a half of the dash apart - what and where to look to make sure it is ok>
And - would it be a good idea, to put some sort of contact spray into the GEM box, fuse box, fuses/relay contacts and the plugs? Such spray is suppose to remove and protect from water as well. What would you say ?

UPDATE - I was running a plenty of water from the garden hose, for over 15 minutes, making the car soaking wet. Trying to look where the water ic coming into the dash or the wires... Well - it does not. Every point inside is completely dry. I was looking under the wheel, with the flash light - no sign of water anywhere. Every wire, every plug and harness is dry.

So - what could be the reason for such behavior?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stan

Reaction score
OK - after the weekend - I think I have some new traces to follow :)

- I discovered that after heavy rain - the front passenger side carpet is soaking wet. There is no signs of water on the drivers side.

- Looking over to YouTube for movies related to my problem I found one hint - hood and harnesses. I opened the hood, and.... Booth sides - drivers and passengers, in the corners, below the windshield and wipers, there was plenty of water. It was going from under that plastic part that goes under the wipers, and covers the windshield lower edge, running to the sides, and going down onto the harness. I think, that dipper it goes into that harness, or by that into the inside.
Would it be possible?
Can you point me to some drawings or better yet pictures, that shows how this parts should be put together and sealed so no water can come through?

Also - I discovered that I'm missing one gasket/seal - there should be one (I think), going under the hood, across the car, along the hood edge (edge closer closer to the windshield) , and sealing the gap between closed hood and the metal edge that goes around that black plastic part that is under the wipers.

This kind of part is impossible to but here in Poland and buying in US would kill my wallet with the postage VAT and customs fees. Do you have any idea how can I fabricate one? It looks like simple seal, not with complicated shape like door seals.

Thank you !:)

OP
OP
S

Stan

Reaction score
Another update for my problems - I discovered, that if I put the key in, turn it and the gauges doesn't work, I can 'shake' it a bit in the key whole... Then gauges turns on - meaning bad contact somewhere in the key whole - will have to take it apart and look...

Still have that two lamps on (oil/temp and fuel low) - gauges shows ok... I have learned from TIS, that Nav has few temperature related sensors (head sensor, coolant sensor, air sensor)...Can you please point me, which sensor gives the temperature input to the temp gauge and which to the temp/oil lamp? Since oil is checked (with the manometer - and pressure is good, and the oil gauge shows ok) then temp is my last chance to trace the problem.