Electrical gremlin please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShelleyM

Reaction score
Hi I was just curious ... My name is Shelley I have a 2006 expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L I started having problems in September with a 10 amp fuse blowing I thing in #14 when it would go I would loose back up lights and sensors and my running lights I would change the fuse and when I put my truck in reverse it would blow again then all of a sudden it stopped blowing and all was good then one day my truck wouldn't start I would check the fuse it was blown change it and it would start again this have been a intermittent problem now my truck won't start fuse is fine we put a code reader on and no errors at all then my husband slammed the passenger door while it was on the on position and it started and when he wiggled the ac tube it would fire over we are very lost as to what's going on according to all the tests we've done my truck is perfect one day I went to start it it wouldn't so I popped the hood and it fired over on its own lol any help would be so awesome Ty

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
start checking ground connections. Sounds a lot like a lose ground. Have you checked the voltage at the fuses to see if power is getting to the fuse block?

OP
OP
ShelleyM

ShelleyM

Reaction score
Ya were getting power to everything in the fuse panel I think we're going to have to break down and take it to the dealership I just really don't want to its sooooo much money

OP
OP
ShelleyM

ShelleyM

Reaction score
If there was a loose ground would we still get power to all the fuses

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You would still have power on the circuit. For the loads we have a loose ground would not normally overload the circuit and keep blowing the fuse.

A short to ground is the usual cause. In your case it is intermittent.

Check areas of the harness that touch metal or make turns against metal. I would look for pinched wires or spots that have rubbed through the insulation.

OP
OP
ShelleyM

ShelleyM

Reaction score
My husband gave up and took it to Ford they are replacing the junction box?

OP
OP
ShelleyM

ShelleyM

Reaction score
So the update is the pcm was and wasn't the issue my truck had either a remote starter or a anti theft system in it at one point and it was removed and the 2 bare wires were plugged into the back of my ignition switch causing all the crazy shorts truck is as good as new now but I think I paid for a pcm I didn't need they replaced that first and truck still wouldn't start then they found the 2 wires

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shame that you paid for a PCM that you most likely didn't need But I am sure the dealership will give you the excuse that it was the bare wires that caused the PCM to fail and after it was replaced then they found the bad wires before it could cause to new PCM to fail

OP
OP
ShelleyM

ShelleyM

Reaction score
Ha we figured the same thing and I only had 1 key so I had to pay for a new key too I was pissed off

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jochris72