electrical help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

preston550

Reaction score
i have a 1999 expedition and for a little while now the display on the radio like the numbers does not show up anymore same as the temp display on the roof, the radio still works but it will not display anything, every once in a great while the number display will turn on for a few min as well as the temp display on roof then go away. sorry if i didnt explain this well but does anyone have a clue what that could be? thanks

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Preston, I know you are not going to like this answer, but it is short and sweet: your radio is on its way out. Seen this tons of time and it has to do with the radio display. Solder joints inside the radio are braking and you are loosing the back lighting of the display. If you are good with electronics, you can possibly fix the solder joints (assuming it is broken solder joints). Otherwise, you will be replacing electronic components and finding the bad component can be a real bear unless you are really good with electronics. The same can be said for the overhead display.

So, you can either try to find a good factory radio and swap that in or you can go aftermarket and rewire the system to handle the new radio. your call.