Electrical issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madmawler

Reaction score
2002 electrical problem

I had a problem very similar to that with my 2002 4.6 expedition.I replaced the rotors and pads on my rear disc brakesyesterday.then all of a sudden my door locks were starting to go up and down, the flashing lights were flashing, the interior lights were going on and off, and the door chime was ringing. I looked underneath the dashboardand when I wiggle the wiring harness going to the brake light switch, all the problems with suddenly stopped. could a failed brake light switch cause all those problems?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
madmawler

explain your problem in detail you posted before my reply

Could be a short in the wiring I would check the wiring going to the gem and also to the security module which is mounted above the gem

grabbing the wire harness to the brake switch my have resulted in other wires being moved

Could also be a ground connection. Check the ground connections behind the drivers side kick panel

Last edited:

madmawler

Reaction score
try the simple repairs first

After replacing the rotors and pads on my rear wheel disc brakes, I experienced those same electrical malfunctions that everyone else on this thread was talking about. The next day without having performed barely any diagnostic procedures, I saw a Ford dealer on the way to work. So I went out on a limb and bought a new brake pedal switch before I actually had any clue about was causing all those problems. It only cost me about $28., so no great loss if that wasn't what I needed. When I got home I spent about 5 minutes of my time, and no tools, and everything was back to normal. Apparently when I squeezed the caliper pistons back in to make room for the new rotors and pads, it pushed the brake pedal back just a tiny bit which was enough to misalign the switch where it mounts to the top of the pedal. It's not the old school type brake light switch where one wire goes through a momentary switch, which closes the circuit, making the brake lamp illuminate. I think the ground for all those lights and buzzers and door locks and chimes is in the harness that goes to that switch, and once the switch malfunctioned, all those other systems went wacko. Strange electrical problems like that can often be traced back to a bad ground somewhere in the electrical system. Good luck.

AWD EXPY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed the door adjar light going on and off with the interior lights while driving. I got home and cleaned all the door latches too no avail. I then hooked up the laptop and it said that it was the rear liftgate. I pulled the trim panel and cleaned the latch and switch again but still no help. I then disconnected the switch connector and the lights still stayed on. I took it for a little drive and I noticed that when I hit the bake pedal the door adjar light and the dome lights go off but as soon as I let go of the brake the door adjar light comes back on with the warning chime and the dome lights come back on. I also noticed that the LEFT turn signal makes the warning chime go nuts but the right signal is fine. Also the rear wiper dose not work when the door adjar light is on but if I hit the brake pedal making the door adjar light go out the wiper works. Does this sound like a GEM problem or something else?

Same issue as I have now this week. I haven't checked the rear wiper though. Hopefully I'll get it figured out.

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed the door adjar light going on and off with the interior lights while driving. I got home and cleaned all the door latches too no avail. I then hooked up the laptop and it said that it was the rear liftgate. I pulled the trim panel and cleaned the latch and switch again but still no help. I then disconnected the switch connector and the lights still stayed on. I took it for a little drive and I noticed that when I hit the bake pedal the door adjar light and the dome lights go off but as soon as I let go of the brake the door adjar light comes back on with the warning chime and the dome lights come back on. I also noticed that the LEFT turn signal makes the warning chime go nuts but the right signal is fine. Also the rear wiper dose not work when the door adjar light is on but if I hit the brake pedal making the door adjar light go out the wiper works. Does this sound like a GEM problem or something else?

my 2002 did this a couple of times. then it stopped. never did that again. same symptoms you described too. I never looked into it just let it go figuring oh well. my first vehicle too.

High Roller

Reaction score
I have some electrical problems too

Here is my problem. My wiper ...the rear window...sometimes it works...sometimes it wont..(short)? My turn signal will blink fast with tilt wheel down.. up...works fine...same with my driver side brake light...up tilt wheel works fine..down ...only running light works if lights are on. So my running light will work when tilt is up or down...brake light drivers side only works wheel up....strange... 2000 expo xlt 5.4

Is this a major problem? My brake light in dash when I park does not come on either unles tilt sterring is up...meanwhile i just been driving with wheel up...not my cup of tea.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should create a new thread in the electrical section then I will delete this post.
Welcome to the site and I will look deeper into your problem after work today.

OP
OP
robbieg

robbieg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is my problem. My wiper ...the rear window...sometimes it works...sometimes it wont..(short)? My turn signal will blink fast with tilt wheel down.. up...works fine...same with my driver side brake light...up tilt wheel works fine..down ...only running light works if lights are on. So my running light will work when tilt is up or down...brake light drivers side only works wheel up....strange... 2000 expo xlt 5.4

Is this a major problem? My brake light in dash when I park does not come on either unles tilt sterring is up...meanwhile i just been driving with wheel up...not my cup of tea.

It's your multi function stalk, replacing it should remedy all you problems.

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might also be the wiring going into the multi function switch. Several wires in mine had pulled out of the connector. I shoved them back in and glued them in place.