Electrical problem now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wardf

Reaction score
Well I changed the fuel pump and it still didn't come on. I tried it now before installing the pump in the tank and and reinstalling the assembly. so I checked voltage and I am only getting 6.6 volts to the pump. I have a knew battery and I get 12.6 V across the battery. I get 7.3 V at the relay #301 on the #85 pin. I kknow it is switching because I get voltage at the pump but where/why would I get a voltage drop at all? Where do I go to check now? Something that could have hurt it was that I used the 200 amp battery charger to try and start it before the battery was replaced. Is there something I could have burnt, everything seems to work except the fuel system. Thank you in advance.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Voltage drop occurs when resistance is encountered in a circuit. Pin 85 or 86 should have 12v when you turn the ignition switch to on but only for a short time. Pin 30 should have 12v. Since it doesn't there is resistance between it and the battery. Start by making sure the battery posts are clean and tight. Check voltage at the relay, fuse, mega fuse and battery terminals (not posts). Any time you have a connector, check on both sides of it if possible. Same with studs, check the connector then the stud. Also check the grounds.

Doubt the charger did any damage unless you left it on for a long time without starting. If you did other problems would be showing up.

OP
OP
W

wardf

Reaction score
Well, I guess I need a dumb@$$ award. stamp11127 I do have 12V at the #30 pin with the relay out. Here is where it all makes since, kind of. I couldn't hear the pump run when I first turned on the key, turns out that it did run for 1 or 2 seconds then turns off. After figuring this out I thought I had another problem because I thought it would run until it got up to pressure. Then when I would go check the V it would be low again. I decided it was not the pump and that I would go ahead and reinstall everything and chase the new electrical problems. About that time my neighbor came over and stated that it sounded about right to run for a short time then go off. So we added gas and tried it,..... it fired right up. So in the end I was just chasing a ghost that didn't exist. Next time I will make sure I have help handy. :)