Engine coolant flushes or exchange?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trey Salsbury

Reaction score
I have a 2019 expedition with 48,000 miles on it I was told by the local Ford dealer that it is time to change out the coolant. He didn’t seem extremely savvy as far as if it should be exchanged or just an actual flush. I’m curious to see what the consensus is on that subject? Also as a sidenote what color is everyone’s coolant in the reservoir? Thanks

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With your mileage it seems early, did he perform some type of test of the coolant? Have recently tried a ohm test on my new to me '09's coolant and it passed. My other car did not. Curious if the dealer used this type of test. Never heard anything good about power flushes.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Way too early to bother. The orange stuff is rated to 100k. The yellow is rated to 200k. I flushed my orange completely at 100k (to be clear, I flushed it with distilled water until it ran clear, drained half the water and filled w/ coolant). I drained and filled at 185k (with yellow now).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've heard from others that the solvent in the flushes clean too much off and damage the coating/lubrication. They recommend just the drain and replace vs the flush.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2019 expedition with 48,000 miles on it I was told by the local Ford dealer that it is time to change out the coolant. He didn’t seem extremely savvy as far as if it should be exchanged or just an actual flush. I’m curious to see what the consensus is on that subject? Also as a sidenote what color is everyone’s coolant in the reservoir? Thanks

Ford recommends changing the engine coolant at six years or 100,000 miles on my 2015 Expedition.

The coolant reservoir and several coolant hoses failed at about 60,000 miles - so the dealer changed them and the engine coolant under Ford’s extended warranty. The water pump failed at 80,*** miles - so the dealer changed the engine coolant again when they changed the pump (under Ford’s extended warranty).

Dealers often “recommend” service - which is recommended to make them more money, not according to Ford’s service guidelines.

I did learn that Ford changed the coolant color (and maybe the formulation) on the coolant suggested for my vehicle - but I don’t remember what the new color is or the new Motorcraft part number.

Don’t always go by the color - go by what is recommended by the manufacturer.