Engine Fail Safe Mode with multitude of codes HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jake2012

Reaction score
Last night coming home from work my 2006 EB Expedition downshifted hard when I was going about 47 mph, and the message: Engine Fail Safe Mode, came on. I slowed down to about 30 mph but then gently accelerated but couldn't go past 40. I was 3 miles from home so prayed like I never have before and made it home. I have a code reader and put it on and out came several codes: P0010, P0020, P0135, P0141, P0155, P0161, P0443, P0446, P0743, P0755, and P0962. Also the overdrive light was flashing the whole time I was driving home and the check engine light came on and stayed on.
And after pulling in my driveway there was an odd smell, maybe electrical coming from the vehicle.

I am hoping its something simple, the mileage is 104k, it has been well maintained, I am in the marine mechanical field so it is taken care of properly.

I have looked up the codes but the last two I listed are not really anywhere and what I did find the answers were vague.

Can anyone shed some light on where to start to look before I spend $$$$ on this? Maybe a starting point or has it happened to anyone else before??
Boats are my field not vehicles so anything anyone can input would be much appreciated

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All right, a good one for a change!
I'll post more info when I get home on the computer but in the mean time check the harmesses in the engine compartment and the harness going to the trans for burned areas or shorts to ground. Also smell the pcm, your smelling for a burnt electrical smell.
Think of this as a boat with wheels on it. If you have worked on diesels this isn't that different. I'm also going to assume you have repaired wire harnesses in the past - to the point of connctor pin replacement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jake2012

Reaction score
All right, a good one for a change!
I'll post more info when I get home on the computer but in the mean time check the harmesses in the engine compartment and the harness going to the trans for burned areas or shorts to ground. Also smell the pcm, your smelling for a burnt electrical smell.
Think of this as a boat with wheels on it. If you have worked on diesels this isn't that different. I'm also going to assume you have repaired wire harnesses in the past - to the point of connctor pin replacement.

Thanks, I will start there, I am still at work right now, but any further information you had said you may have when you get home would be very much appreciated, Thanks again

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After looking up those codes it would be very unlikely to have all that fail at the same time unless there is a problem with the electrical harness or the pcm is giving up the ghost.

Do you have a dvm in order to test continuity on the harness?

B

bedrck46

P0755 * SSB, wiring, PCM SSB solenoid circuit failure SSB circuit fails to provide voltage drop across solenoid. Circuit open or shorted or PCM driver failure during on-board diagnostic. Incorrect gear selection depending on condition mode and manual lever position. See Solenoid On/Off Chart.

P1747 *
P0962 EPC, wiring, PCM EPC solenoid circuit failure, shorted circuit or output driver Voltage through EPC solenoid is checked. An error will be noted if tolerance is exceeded. Short circuit causes minimum EPC pressure (minimum capacity) and limits engine torque (alternate firm).

P0743 * TCC, wiring, PCM TCC solenoid circuit failure during on-board diagnostic TCC solenoid circuit fails to provide voltage drop across solenoid. Circuit open or shorted or PCM driver failure during on-board diagnostic. Short circuit: engine stalls in second (OD, 2 range) at low idle speeds with brake applied.
Open circuit: torque converter clutch never engages. May flash TCIL.

* Output circuit check, generated only by electrical symptoms.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The OP hasn't closed the thread with his solution so here it is:

After troubleshooting the harness, he found a short to ground that blew fuse #32. That circuit controls "the CMS, Transmission solenoids, Canister vent solenoid, HEGO sensors, VMV solenoid, A/C compressor clutch relay coil, CMCV, VCT actuators".

B

bedrck46

thanks stamp11127 this is a good example to check fuses when having electrical problems by using a meter

but its sad that the OP couldn't take the time to report the problem was fixed

So many come on this site and ask for help but then they can't take the time to even say thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PalosX