Engine failsafe mode the instant I cancelled the cruise pulling a camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trucker14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yesterday I was pulling our 2k lb pop up camper after having no issues for about 600 miles pulling it, but I hit "off" on the cruise while driving up a steep hill bc I was coming to my turn. The engine instantly went into failsafe mode.

I got to my destination and was noticing a shutter when backing it up the hill. But once I shut it off and turned it back on it was perfectly fine. No fail safe mode. No shutter. All it's power back.

Question is could the fact I just shut off the cruise while it was working hard going up a hill rather than easing the cruise off, could that have just been a shock to the system temporarily?

The over drive was off the entire time. Definitely not my first time pulling a trailer lol.

2006 LimitedIMG_5647.JPG expy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt turning off the cruise control affected it. I would get a code reader and see if it threw one then you have a good starting point. Just my nickel's worth. :)

Fordexp2006

Reaction score
Yesterday I was pulling our 2k lb pop up camper after having no issues for about 600 miles pulling it, but I hit "off" on the cruise while driving up a steep hill bc I was coming to my turn. The engine instantly went into failsafe mode.

I got to my destination and was noticing a shutter when backing it up the hill. But once I shut it off and turned it back on it was perfectly fine. No fail safe mode. No shutter. All it's power back.

Question is could the fact I just shut off the cruise while it was working hard going up a hill rather than easing the cruise off, could that have just been a shock to the system temporarily?

The over drive was off the entire time. Definitely not my first time pulling a trailer lol.

2006 LimitedView attachment 21498 expy
Just had the identical problem. Did you find the issue?

mkc1962

Reaction score
Exact same thing happend to me this evening. Also pulling a small trailer up a hill. Hit the Cruise OFF and immediatley went to failsafe mode. Pulled over, checked all things, nothing found, restarted and no repeat since.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These are electronically controlled transmissions now. The on/off switch has a different network id than the brake switch id and are used as separate inputs to the pcm. The programmed response from the two inputs may be different. Next time try disengaging the cruise with the brake pedal first then turn off the cruise. If it still goes into limp mode it is time to check the tsb's.

mkc1962

Reaction score
Yep. in all my searching last night, noticed that exact same thing no matter where I Looked, all 06's. Stamp, I tried as you mention, even as I got much closer to home tried to hit the Off button again, but it would not do it again.

As I am about to get ready for a 3000 mile road trip ( w trailer), gotta get serious about finding a possible cause. Most info I have found on the matter mentions 2 possible causes, CTS (which on an 06 I can only find one based on FSM located in PS cyl head) the other being the TPS. Not more than they cost, may just obtain both for the tool box as well as surely carry my OBD2 scanner along.