Engine won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benya21097

Reaction score
I went to go start my truck today and the engine wouldn't turn over. At first I thought it was the battery, but as I looked around, every electrical thing was working; dash gauges turned on, radio turned on, cab lights turned on. Then, I checked the fuses and everything was fine and in place. When you turn the key in the ignition, it starts going but won't turn over. It's almost as if the trucks out of gas but I have a half a tank in there. My dad thinks the fuel pumps going, someone please help! And also, the trucks a 1998 xlt, RWD with over 250,000 on the clock (don't know if that helps any)

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so I just need some clarification, by not turning over do you mean the motor is not spinning at all, or spinning but not firing up?Your description makes it hard to tell. You can rent a fuel pressure gauge tester for free from most auto parts stores (autozone, oreilly) and that would tell you if the fuel pump is failing. You should see something between 31-35 psi at idle I think.

BIG GREEN FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get someone to turn the key all the way till the gages turn on and you lay under the truck and try to hear the fuel pump come on.
You could also check with stating fluid to see if it cranks like that. If it does then its your fuel pump.
Have you changed your fuel filter?

BIG GREEN FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One more thing if fuel pump need to be replaced try going with bosh. I heard from really smart people on this forum say its the best

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you use starter fluid.
Just use a small amount.
A few short shots should be enough to see if the engine fires up.

OP
OP
B

benya21097

Reaction score
like it sounds the engines about to start but it won't fire up. It makes the noise a normal engine makes before it starts but that's it.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
check fuel pressure then try some starter fluid if no fuel pressure but it fires up with starter fluid its most likely the fuel pump also check fuses to the fuel pump and the reset switch