Engines "retards" under WOT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigAl614

Reaction score
Hey guys,

2010 Ford Expy EL

If I accelerate hard the truck seems to go into limp mode and check engine would blink for several minutes and the straighten out... It is now staying on.

This is a problem going up a hill or trying to pass someone.

Any ideas for me?

Thank you
Al

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ecm/pcm is constantly monitoring the system operation. When something is out of spec it will log a code so the first step is to have the codes read.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is this accompanied by a lot of shaking and maybe an increase in engine speed but the truck doesn't seem to accelerate at the same pace?

jeff

2007Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine had the same symptoms when it was in need of a tune-up, but like Stamp said, use a code reader before swapping out parts.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the fuel pressure. It is the first symptoms of fuel pump inadequacy and eventual failure.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys,

2010 Ford Expy EL

If I accelerate hard the truck seems to go into limp mode and check engine would blink for several minutes and the straighten out... It is now staying on.

This is a problem going up a hill or trying to pass someone.

Any ideas for me?

Thank you
Al

Can't tell much without knowing what the trouble code is. Could be plugs or coils, could be fuel injector or pump, or many other things.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Blinking check engine light is a misfire and once it reaches a set number of misfires it will remain on. I would pull the code and go from there

Ender

Reaction score
Bad coil pack, could be plug too. I had the same issue with my Expy and F250. I replaced all plugs and coils with eBay parts. Cost about $100 for each vehicle. The code told me on my Expy it was cylinder 3, but it wasn't really the only one, so I ended up just swapping them all. On both vehicles, I have about 40k miles on the eBay parts with no issues. Maybe not conventional wisdom, but I'm not wealthy!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik