Enter If You Dare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you're in luck. Saw your post and signed up. I'm in the market so if you decide to dare to go for the 18, feel free to send me your truck's window sticker and asking price, along with a trade in quote from a Ford dealer is possible.
Wow!

Hi njja, welcome to the forum.

I'm still under 5K miles on the truck at this point. It's a loaded Limited EL. The dealer website said the trade in was between $45K and $48K I don't know what the real trade-in would. The sticker was $66K. I'm not sure that I will go down this road at this point but... I certainly will not do anything until I get the chance to drive a new Platinum Max for comparison but I'm sure that would be a couple of months at least, and at the rate I drive, I doubt the mileage will even get to 6K by then. The truck has been rustproofed and undercoated by Ziebart, for our Indiana winters, and I have the 100K mile/8 yr No CoPay Dealer extended warranty on it which can be sold with the vehicle or pulled off an put on the new vehicle.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your last paragraph is what I’m looking for lol I did pose the same “how capable is your 4x4 Navi” that I posted here on the blue oval forum, there has been zero replies. I may be the only Navigator on the north Georgia Forrest service roads with mud covered hiking boots and a mud covered luxury suv lol
Did they change the rear differential for the 2018 Navi's? For the 2017s, if you went with the extended length Navi, you were stuck with an open rear differential. No thanks, I'll take a useful 4x4 without the fancy interior, thank you very much!

OP
OP
dlcorbett

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which differential were u looking for...?limited slip is optional i believe.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which differential were u looking for...?limited slip is optional i believe.
Nothing worse than limited slip*, which was only optional on the Expedition and the short wheel base Navi. *Current model 4x4 GMs have electronic locking rear differentials as standard.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing worse than limited slip*, which was only optional on the Expedition and the short wheel base Navi. *Current model 4x4 GMs have electronic locking rear differentials as standard.

I thought the 2018s all have locking diff.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought the 2018s all have locking diff.
On the GMs? I just looked it up, and it appears you are correct and even the 2 wheel drive versions get the locking rear differential. I can't seem to find anything on the rear axle for the new Navigator, so who knows what's in it. :)

OP
OP
dlcorbett

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The site for the expy says non-limited slip and electronic limited slip. Theres no mention of this in the lincoln site. Wouldn't limited slip better than a locking differential in most situations. Ive never heard an expy or navi being bad offroad and from my understanding ford never offered a locking diff.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Limited slip is not better than locking dif but is better than just open diffs. I'm not so sure GM has locking diffs in their SUV pretty sure they don't. I've driven many of the new ones and not one had it. My F-350 has it but my expy didn't. It's only use is for low speed situations where you need two wheel locked in the rear. It automatically shuts off above 12 MPH. It's nice but unneeded if you are a good driver 4X4 should always be sufficient, even with open diffs.