Expedition major maintenance questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Freedommaster

Reaction score
2004 Expedition 5.4L Eddie Bauer 112,000mi 4x4

ok, this might turn into a heavy thread, idk, so here goes. Let first start by asking how do you know how many valves my 5.4L has? I have been reading forums, googling and I can't seem to get a definitive answer on the expeditions. Everyone is pretty sure about the F150's but not much info on when the 3v came to the expeditions for sure. I just need a definitive answer on how to tell. one forum mentioned the valve covers were different and that was a good way to tell but i don't know how true that is. If it is the 2v, does that mean that the spark plugs are normal spark plugs and not the ones that get stuck in the engine? Some were saying that 2004 was the last year of the 2v, the best year for the 2v.

Ok next question, cam phasers. I know, this topic has probably been talked about a lot and I need to know if the problem affects all 5.4L engines or just certain year ranges. Is the cam phaser problem really the problem everyone makes it out to be? I have an 04 eddie bauer with 112K miles and it isnt making the cam phaser noise but I wondering, if it does start, is it worth fixing or driving it until it dies? Some people say it will ruin the engine, some say that they've ran theirs without problems with the cam phaser noise so I don't know what the think about them since they cost somewhere in the range of $1500. As it sits my expedition is only worth 5-6K, no dealerships want them cause the phaser problem, quoting me 2k as trade in so i'm really in a tough place of trying to sell it or keep it and do the expensive ass maintenance. I like the truck, I just don't like finding all these problems with it after I've bought it, and its really tough because information is hard to find out about on this year for some reason.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your 04 has the 2V engine 3vV became available in the 05 model year.
The 2V engines do not have cam phasers They are on the 3V engines

OP
OP
Freedommaster

Freedommaster

Reaction score
Your 04 has the 2V engine 3vV became available in the 05 model year.
The 2V engines do not have cam phasers They are on the 3V engines

You've gotta be ******** me lol the cam phaser only affected the 3v!? I like to hear that but why is everyone saying that my truck will have the phaser problem? Even the mechanics and dealerships say it will have the problem if it doesn't already. Well that changes my opinion on selling it. I think I'd rather deal with the 2v problems than the 3v spark plug phaser problems.

OP
OP
Freedommaster

Freedommaster

Reaction score
So what problems should I be on the lookout for with the 2V then other than the possibility that a spark plug may come fly out at some point?

OP
OP
Freedommaster

Freedommaster

Reaction score
Read the attached link.
It will point out some problem areas Pay attention to posts about 2V and 3V engines

http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/what-to-look-for-when-buying-a-gen-2-expy.10742/

ok final question and then I'll stop asking dumb questions, is it normal for the AC to switch from forward vents to defroster vents while accelerating, even just 1/4 throttle and it switches over. its really irritating and I can't seem to figure out if its supposed to do that or if something is broken. in the summer it can get kind of warm in cab if I'm driving down hilly roads or towing something because it'll switch to the defrost vents. I guess I should point out that its not the auto temp control doing it. It does it even if I have it designated to be coming out of just the front vents or floor vents.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is caused by a loss of vacuum Check for any vacuum or dry rotted vacuum hoses

I would suggest that you get a copy of the Ford Workshop Manual on DVD look on e-bay

OP
OP
Freedommaster

Freedommaster

Reaction score
That is caused by a loss of vacuum Check for any vacuum or dry rotted vacuum hoses

I would suggest that you get a copy of the Ford Workshop Manual on DVD look on e-bay

Thank you so much, you have answered all the questions I had about maintenance without nonsensical jargon or beratement. I'm also feeling a bit more confident in keeping and driving this thing around now.