Expedition totaled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to check out a 2013 EL tomorrow, maybe a bit better shape than the 2011 Limited.

The 11’ wasn’t awful but Drivers seat and wheel had a bit of wear on them. Would have to at least replace leather seat with the wrinkles. Wheel would be easier fix.

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Going to check out a 2013 EL tomorrow, maybe a bit better shape than the 2011 Limited.

The 11’ wasn’t awful but Drivers seat and wheel had a bit of wear on them. Would have to at least replace leather seat with the wrinkles. Wheel would be easier fix.

Wrinkles are dirt and disappear if brushed out and cleaned properly....unless it's totally cracked already

Wheel has airbag and multifunction controls so is probably a more complex replacement than a seat/seatbottom cover

Greg S

Reaction score
Can anyone help me out here, Anyone go from a regular length to an EL?

What I’m particularly wondering is if you noticed an large acceleration difference besides just a bit on the 5.4L. Will I regret not having a short bus with 3.73s? Also is the Limited standard with HD tow?

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident, J.

I traded in my 2008 Expedition Eddie Bauer regular WB for a 2016 Expedition EL XLT 4x4 about a year ago. I am very happy with my decision to go from a short WB to an EL. I think the difference is only about 14 inches or so, but the truck handles better IMO (especially when towing - longer wheelbase = better stability under load), and I can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood with both rows folded and the gate closed if I ever need to haul anything big. Better than a pickup as I still have the seating capacity when I need it. And the cargo room with the 3rd row up is MUCH better than the regular WB.

The drivetrains aren't an apples to apples comparison, but I do have the 3.73 gears on my '16 due to the EL, and also have the HD tow package. The Ecoboost is awesome...I don't really miss my 5.4L at all. This thing flies and tows like a dream compared to my 08. (Note that my '08 was a 2WD and did not have the HD tow, so it had the 3.31 gears).

Best of luck in your hunt, but to answer your question on the regular WB vs. EL, I would go with the EL every time. It is a little harder to park due to the added turning radius, but the extra room is very much worth the trade-off IMO.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put an offer in on a 2013 Limited EL that I liked, will see if I get a call back. I think I was close enough but that’s for them to determine.

The rims are a little too bling for me on these Limiteds, they are like mirrors too much chrome. Besides that I think I like the interiors and all that jazz.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
J, glad your ok. These SUVs bulk make up for the cruddy mileage. Life's funny, when you have a small issue like you had awhile back, the problems switch gears. Your fine, that's what counts. I've been in my share of accident's, and am still here to talk to you guys 64 years later, sometimes I wonder why. Don't worry about the power difference of the bigger SUV. You'll get to a point in your life where going fast doesn't matter, you inevitably slow down. That's a good thing. When I was younger, I wanted Motorcycles or cars that could do over 120 or better. Thank God I never fell off, came close once. These days, getting the Expedition up to a quick romp to 80, does the trick. Take your time, find a clean, issue free new baby!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You'll get to a point in your life where going fast doesn't matter, you inevitably slow down.

My dad is 72 and hasn't reached that point yet. His driving is a little scary tbh - driving at 26 y/o speeds with 72 y/o reflexes. :x

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went from an 05 regular to a 17 EL... not apples to apples by any means with the 5.4 compared to the 3.5. My 17 would blow the doors off my 05. Both with the HD tow package and 3.73.
Sorry to hear about your truck JE, I am glad you are okay.

I completely agree with Boose as I did the same thing.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My dad is 72 and hasn't reached that point yet. His driving is a little scary tbh - driving at 26 y/o speeds with 72 y/o reflexes. :x

My Dad is 67 and still drives Race Cars at VERY high rates of speeds on many different Road courses several times a year!

Been there myself, just not doing any semi pro driving anymore. Haven’t got the time for it with family and work obligations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro