Favorite oils- 0W-20?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idahokid

Full Access Members
Reaction score
5w20 Motorcraft synthetic blend for me.But the Mobile advanced fuel economy oil is Ford approved.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Obviously going with the manufacturers recommended weight oil is best. But much of it has to do with your climate. In hotter climates you can get away with heavier weight oils and vise versa for colder climates. I believe it may even be recommended to do so in extreme climates but have not checked the owner manual recently.

As the engine wears the bearing and ring gaps open up and you can generally get away with heavier weight oil as well. But I have hear rumors this may cause issues with the hydraulic timing chain tensioners leading to early failure. While I would not hesitate to run heavier weight oil in an older pushrod motor as it wears I would have reservations about doing so in these newer overhead cam mod motors.

I am also a firm believer in full synthetic oils.

Last edited:

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
I see plenty of threads about the mileage of our Expys. Has anyone played with 0W-20 synthetic instead of the 5W-20?

I see Mobil has the 0W oils that are supposed to give better economy but I'm real apprehensive about using that.

Also, does anyone get their oil analyzed? I just got a report back on a sample from the Expy. 127000 miles and got a clean bill of health!

Where do you send it to have it analyzed and whats the cost

OP
OP
GaryH2

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where do you send it to have it analyzed and whats the cost

I use Blackstone Labs. Its $25 a sample (plus postage). If you get a TBN (Total Base Number) its an extra $10 . That will tell you if you can run your oil longer or if you need to shorten your interval. They also test transmission fluid too.

I like them a lot since they aren't trying to sell you anything, they tell you like it is. They seem to take the time to answer any questions on the samples you send. As an example, on our 06 Mustang, its really low miles so they recommended I extend the oil change interval. On our Honda, they recommended that we change out and check the transmission fluid in another 20k miles.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run 5W-30 Mobil 1 Synthetic in my expy(bought it with 109K) and it has over 200k miles on it, and use a Fram Ultra guard filter and change it every 8k miles. My wifes Chevy trailblazer EXT has 130k(bought it with 30k) on it and have been running 0W-20 Mobil 1 Synthetic and Fram Ultra guard filter and change it every 10K... So far so good.

I used to use AMSOIL in my Expy, but it is hard to get here in Ohio(used to live in Wisconsin)

Last edited:

irc fab

Reaction score
Im not trying to be a smart ass but i learned the hard way about the the oil thickness and if you got a 97 or 98 you will starve your oil flow with anything but 5w-20w like a post earlier said small viens and the thicker stuff doesn't get through like it should.
Just had to r&r and rebuild mine (4.6 w ) due to using the wrong oil and seen it when i tore her down why they say 5-20 only. rebuilt her like a few thousand miles ago and she runs like new and change her every at 500 first and 1000 next just to make sure its good and everytime i change now no burn't oil very clean and she runs like a ***** ape.
just thaught i would tell ya all about what i learned and i'm not trying to say anyone is wrong but i know what kind i'm running from now on. and i sure do like all the info ya can get off this site. very usefull thanks all for leading your ears lol FORD POWER

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use either 5w 30 or 10w 30 depends on the season hahaha and I only run Valvoline or Lucas Oil products I hate everything else and yes I also run the K&N Performance Oil filters in every car they are more solid and stand up to more of a beating. And I have been changing oil since I was 11 from my moms Chrysler Sebring to helping my cousin on his 82' Hilux.... Lucas is my favorite for sure though! Yes I order my oil online because I'm a nut case

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Funfetti