Finally Hit 6000 Miles and Did the Second Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m curious how you think Ford would fix this if for some reason it is an issue? You walk into ford and tell them you got fuel dilution they’re gonna tell you it’s normal and send you on your way.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m curious how you think Ford would fix this if for some reason it is an issue? You walk into ford and tell them you got fuel dilution they’re gonna tell you it’s normal and send you on your way.

Bobbmx said it perfectly, it’s the low mileage and lack of long trips to evaporate any condensation or fuel in the oil. It’s like the peanut butter people get under the oil fill tube in the winter if they only take short trips. This is caused because condensation isn’t evaporated out from long run cycles and stays under that cap. I’d say andy’s Issue has to do with that. He had very low mileage for owning the truck a year. So yes your are most likely correct, there is really nothing ford can prescribe other than to wear it in more, just as they couldn’t do anything about the peanut butter in the fill tubes.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bobbmx said it perfectly, it’s the low mileage and lack of long trips to evaporate any condensation or fuel in the oil. It’s like the peanut butter people get under the oil fill tube in the winter if they only take short trips. This is caused because condensation isn’t evaporated out from long run cycles and stays under that cap. I’d say andy’s Issue has to do with that. He had very low mileage for owning the truck a year. So yes your are most likely correct, there is really nothing ford can prescribe other than to wear it in more, just as they couldn’t do anything about the peanut butter in the fill tubes.
Andy I think this is directed at you

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd look into adding a catch can ASAP. And I'd probably go with the largest size available with dual valves.

Agreed though, Ford dealer isn't going to perform any action based on Blackstone findings other than change your oil.

Is your truck garaged or does it sit outside in cold Ft Wayne?

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy, I think a factor in your gasoline in the oil is due to the lack of driving you do. Just based on your mileage, it seems that you don't drive it a lot, and mostly on short trips. Thats an assumption. While the engine may reach a normal operating temperature, you're not driving it long enough to evaporate the fuel from the oil.

As a corollary, my commute is 2.5 miles one way, barely enough to warm up the engine. I find that in a week, my battery will die (happened 2-3 times already...same thing with my Explorer so I know its not the truck) because I don't drive enough to recharge the battery. I have to drive for a good distance 30-40 miles once a week or it dies. This also allows the engine to run hot enough, long enough, to burn off water and fuel collected in the oil.

Take another sample after a good hour or two of running and see what your analysis says.
I think you are right Bob. I came to that conclusion myself. The issue is I don't have anywhere that I have to go on a regular basis. Not like when I was working and driving 30 miles to work (one way).

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I was under the impression fuel dilution was normal for at least the first 7500 miles or so.

Blackstone also says that if you don’t drive it for a good bit before taking the sample that it will show high on the fuel dilution for the reasons stated above.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's always a good idea to run any vehicle up to operating temps. Short stop and go is not good for any motor, new, or old. Fuel is always on the rich side when cold, due to cold start conditions. Not running long enough, will dump rich mixture into the crankcase area. Not to mention condensation, that doesn't get fully burned off. Bottom line get out their and run it up to temp, and clear everything out!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I'll keep an eye on it, but I do have the 8 year 100K mile warranty so it will be Ford's problem if it doesn't clear up.

I tried really hard to find the link on the F150 Forum regarding the 10k mark with fuel dilution. Honestly I found a lot of information about 6% being the norm for these motors. The DFI pressure is typically mentioned as the cause. I'll keep looking and post it as soon as I find it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscoford