Finally let her off the leash!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After a long winter and busy springtime, I have finally taken my 2017 Expy Limited off-road to do some geologic field work in the mountains of northern Nevada. Like a dog who is used to being taken for walks on a leash, she ran like the wind on the dirt roads and two-tracks once the leash was taken off. Uphill tracks with rocks were her pleasure and only asked for more.

Springtime wildflowers are peaking now and was great to get out without worrying about flooded stream crossings and mud.

I was more than happy with the ease of off-road travel using both 4H and 4L with the lockers. Using the Manual selection, gears were easily selected for uphill and downhill. What a pleasurable day with my dirty, dusty truck!! She liked getting dirty so much since I generally keep her clean and tidy.

IMG_1416.JPG IMG_1417.JPG

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since you previously had an F150 FX4, how does this handle off road comparably? This is my first "truck" and I am curious how it will perform and hold up.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a long winter and busy springtime, I have finally taken my 2017 Expy Limited off-road to do some geologic field work in the mountains of northern Nevada. Like a dog who is used to being taken for walks on a leash, she ran like the wind on the dirt roads and two-tracks once the leash was taken off. Uphill tracks with rocks were her pleasure and only asked for more.

Springtime wildflowers are peaking now and was great to get out without worrying about flooded stream crossings and mud.

I was more than happy with the ease of off-road travel using both 4H and 4L with the lockers. Using the Manual selection, gears were easily selected for uphill and downhill. What a pleasurable day with my dirty, dusty truck!! She liked getting dirty so much since I generally keep her clean and tidy.

View attachment 20814 View attachment 20815
Great pictures Nevada. You sure have pretty country to drive in. :)

OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since you previously had an F150 FX4, how does this handle off road comparably? This is my first "truck" and I am curious how it will perform and hold up.

I am thoroughly impressed by the power of the engine, the stability (some side-hilling, always gives me the stomach-butterflies, you know, when you feel the blood leaving your head...) and clearance. I was somewhat concerned about the 2-ply nylon sidewall tires (oem Hankooks) but they performed well with no punctures. Not even any rubber chunks tore out by rocks. I was also concerned with the undercarriage being unprotected from rocks, but no problem. I have contemplated getting full undercarriage body armor (skid plates) and may go through with that.

The truck loved being off-road and gave a ride any of my F-150s could never give. You should definitely take the Expybeast off-road and see what she is REALLY made of!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great pictures Nevada. You sure have pretty country to drive in. :)

Thanks Andy. I love doing my geologic work in Nevada, especially in the springtime. Soon, all those mountains will be brown from the summer dryness and maybe burning due to storm lightening!! Always a problem out here where the storms blow up, no moisture but plenty of electrical discharge. But I have been blessed with this career and Nevada. I keep reminding myself that I get paid to do this stuff!!!!:naughty:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Is the 2017 a lease? I can't believe someone would "off road", a new, $50,000 vehicle. Esp. with no skid plates and street tires. You insurance company must love you....

OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the 2017 a lease? I can't believe someone would "off road", a new, $50,000 vehicle. Esp. with no skid plates and street tires. You insurance company must love you....

Believe it or not, many geos and land people out here use Expeditions for off-road travel. After doing my geological work in Nevada for over 30 years with F-150s, I have learned a few tricks... like not getting in too deep and not walking out. If the terrain looks beyond what the vehicle capabilities are, I walk to where I need to be.

The OEM Hankooks are not only street tires, they are rated AT, all terrain. BUT they do only have 2 ply nylon sidewalls, which is a concern of mine. But if I get a flat out there, I will replace them. Until then, it is an experiment. The Expy was built for the road as well as the off-road.

Try it, You'll like it!!:biggrin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1