Finally let her off the leash!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
What?? The Expy is not built for off-road? And the Hummer is???? Whoa. Off-road people around here (like half the population) NEVER drive Hummers especially off road. Hummers are built for people's ego to make others think they are bullet-proof.

There are many ways to drive off-road for pleasure in the back country and avoid scratches and dents. It is the risk that drives exploration. In many nanny states, the government has legislated risk out of life. That is why I love working my career in Nevada.

I purchased the Expy for both gentle off-road and road trips. It excels at both!!! Like I said, try it, you'll like it!!!!
A 2017 Expedition, was designed for soccer Moms, to get groceries and go to Walmart. I did a 2 year lease, 11 years ago on H3 Hummer. Not for ego, it was a good deal($210/month) and I live in Buffalo(winter snow). It has a 23.5" clearance(better than Jeep) and skid plates. It was built similar to the Ford Raptor. The dealer had an obstacle course you could drive on. I can vouch for, that, no way an Expedition could of made it. I have owned over 30 vehicles(Vettes Mustangs,Motorcycles), The Hummer got the most attention, everywhere I went. It was weird, every place I went, friends, family, co-workers, women and even kids asked about it. Kind of a shame GM dropped them, with Pontiac and Saturn. The H3 was bigger than a Jeep and a bit smaller than Expedition

Last edited:

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Folks, to each their own. Nevada isn't rock crawling and it's HIS Expy. I would assume that since he is taking it light off roading, he is ok with scratches and dings that may happen. He isn't comparing the vehicle to a Rubicon or suggesting going up the Gold Mine Hill 2.0.

I fully understand the hesitation of taking out a brand new 60k vehicle, but others won't have any issue with taking THEIR vehicle wherever they want. Heck, I don't like having my kids eat in my '17 Expy, but would like to get a little dirt and mud on the tires.

OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Folks, to each their own. Nevada isn't rock crawling and it's HIS Expy. I would assume that since he is taking it light off roading, he is ok with scratches and dings that may happen. He isn't comparing the vehicle to a Rubicon or suggesting going up the Gold Mine Hill 2.0.

I fully understand the hesitation of taking out a brand new 60k vehicle, but others won't have any issue with taking THEIR vehicle wherever they want. Heck, I don't like having my kids eat in my '17 Expy, but would like to get a little dirt and mud on the tires.

yeah Cullinan, it is common sense to take care of your new vehicle, but I did make the purchase with off-road in mind. Living in northern Nevada, off-road is everything with the variety of mountains, rivers and lakes we can get to. Just no paved roads!!

As mentioned earlier, we never see Hummers off-road around here. To each his own!

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score

I fully understand the hesitation of taking out a brand new 60k vehicle, but others won't have any issue with taking THEIR vehicle wherever they want. Heck, I don't like having my kids eat in my '17 Expy, but would like to get a little dirt and mud on the tires.[/QUOTE
yeah Cullinan, it is common sense to take care of your new vehicle, but I did make the purchase with off-road in mind. Living in northern Nevada, off-road is everything with the variety of mountains, rivers and lakes we can get to. Just no paved roads!!

As mentioned earlier, we never see Hummers off-road around here. To each his own!
Hummers are not for sale anymore, except China. There weren't many around to begin with. What about Jeeps or pickup trucks?

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
this picture, i was off road and 4wd locked in, it was on the track siding, slippery and rutty.
I use my 4wd and auto 4wd ALOT, just dont rock crawl or go swamping with it, but it does just fine getting us down the oil field roads to look for piggies,
i stay far away from limbs and unknown holes,
i will put a bogger or swamper on the trailer.
i am sure everyone else treats theirs the way they can afford respectively.
I think we meandered off topic, Nevadageo was imo simply stating how well his did on the trails he knows from vast experience and walks ones he does not.

cross ties 1.jpg

OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hummers are not for sale anymore, except China. There weren't many around to begin with. What about Jeeps or pickup trucks?

Jeeps and pickups are most common around here as exploration vehicles. Mind you, where we live and do our work is very rugged country and is the "outback" of America. Here in Nevada we have the largest and most prospective area in the USA that is under-explored wrt mineral resources. Our job is to explore for and discover the next gold, silver and base metal deposits that can be used to further the strength of our country. We currently import many of our raw materials from many "unfriendly" sources and it is our duty as exploration geologists to keep our resources home grown, adding (keeping) wealth in the USA. For years, the liberal wing of the USA has done everything possible to kill the mining industry in the USA, becoming foaming mouthed and silly along the way, all believing they are altruistic and speaking for the good of Americans. All this has done is put high-paying jobs out of the USA and into the hands of third world thugs.

I view my Expedition as my trusty steed similar to the old prospectors with their trusted mules. We still use pick axes and hammers, but now we have awesome rock drills and mining equipment. It all starts with the trusted steed and the boots on the ground.

Sorry for the rant. I feel better now!!:head3:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A 2017 Expedition, was designed for soccer Moms, to get groceries and go to Walmart. I did a 2 year lease, 11 years ago on H3 Hummer. Not for ego, it was a good deal($210/month) and I live in Buffalo(winter snow). It has a 23.5" clearance(better than Jeep) and skid plates. It was built similar to the Ford Raptor. The dealer had an obstacle course you could drive on. I can vouch for, that, no way an Expedition could of made it. I have owned over 30 vehicles(Vettes Mustangs,Motorcycles), The Hummer got the most attention, everywhere I went. It was weird, every place I went, friends, family, co-workers, women and even kids asked about it. Kind of a shame GM dropped them, with Pontiac and Saturn. The H3 was bigger than a Jeep and a bit smaller than Expedition

Look out, he might complain that your EB motor will break down on you out on the trail, and that it does not have enough power...The 5.0 is better...

Had a F250 7.5 Inches of lift and 35's that my wife drove before the Expy. Other than clearance, the Expy runs circles around it off road. The Traction management system does an excellent job of keep the wheels with grip moving. The F250 did everything by brute force, the Expy does it with grace and a MUCH better ride.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Look out, he might complain that your EB motor will break down on you out on the trail, and that it does not have enough power...The 5.0 is better...

Had a F250 7.5 Inches of lift and 35's that my wife drove before the Expy. Other than clearance, the Expy runs circles around it off road. The Traction management system does an excellent job of keep the wheels with grip moving. The F250 did everything by brute force, the Expy does it with grace and a MUCH better ride.
I suspect LokiWolf is a Ford marketing rep, the way he praises the Eco-boost. If he not, he should apply for the job. He is really going to jinks himself, with problems. I like to see what happens, to a eco, splashing through deep water with 1700 degree, red hot turbos. Not mention driving through dry brush. Can you say wildfire?