Firewall Opening for power wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JNT1

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture showing the location of an opening in the firewall? Ideally on the passenger's side. I'm trying to run a wire from the battery.

This would be for a 2005. I read a post that talked about one on the passenger side but it sounded like this was on an 03 and not there on an 04 or 05.

Thanks,
Joe

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would depend on how involved you want to become, there are areas that you can add a wire on the passenger side but according to the diagrams it is tight to work in.

How many wires and what gauge size are you wanting to run?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'll take a pic of mine tomorrow...I used an existing hole...u can always make one for ur wire if u wanted to but MUST be careful to ensure there are no wires or anything else where the hole will be and use a grommet so the wire(s) don't get frayed...

OP
OP
J

JNT1

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. As of now I'm just looking to run a wire from the battery to inside for a power inverter and to add more power at the dash for accessories. I also need to run a wire from a dash to the front via a relay for some extra lights. Probably 14 gauge for the switch and 12 or 10 for the inverter.

OP
OP
J

JNT1

Reaction score
i'll take a pic of mine tomorrow...I used an existing hole...u can always make one for ur wire if u wanted to but MUST be careful to ensure there are no wires or anything else where the hole will be and use a grommet so the wire(s) don't get frayed...

Picture would help, Thanks. Yours was the post I read before where it seemed like your truck had a different firewall set up than the other 04.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many watts is the inverter rated for? Just venturing a guess, the 10-12 wire will be very undersized for any mid range inverter. If you are going around 2000 watts, the cable will be around the size of battery cables depending on length needed.

OP
OP
J

JNT1

Reaction score
I haven't fully specked out the inverter project as that is happening later. I'm working on the exterior lights first. You are no doubt correct though depending on the size of the converter. I'm probably just putting in a small one. I have one connected to the cigarette lighter that works fine for almost everything I have needed. I just want to hard wire it instead of plugging in.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went through the factory grommet above the pedals on my '11; I believe you have the same grommet on your '05. I removed the tape on the grommet and re-wrapped when I was done. I used electrical tape to attach the wires to a long cable tie and routed the cable tie from the engine compartment to the passenger compartment. The cable tie is stiff enough to get all the way through, but flexible enough to bend as needed - and it won't damage any of the factory wires as something like a small screwdriver would.