Fog light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Navigator and when I hit the high beams the fog lights turn off. There was a relay I was able to modify in my old truck to stop this. Is there a way to stop it on my Navigator?

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Possible through Forscan...nickname for the change is Bambi Mode; a forum search for "bambi mode" should provide you tons of information on the how-to

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
All cars do this. At least those I'm acquainted with. I recall a discussion that this may be a legal requirement regarding excessive lights on the front of the a vehicle. Four is legal (2 highs + 2 lows) but not more.

Bambi mode is what you need. Forscan can do it on the late trucks, not sure about 2011. Well documented elsewhere in the forum.

I activated Bambi at the same time I activated the fog lights as DRLs. Criminal that Ford didn't put DRLs on these, my other cars have had them for 14 years. I used Forscan to make several other changes including killing the blinding high beams indicator I'd been covering with a Post-It note.

-- Chuck

OP
OP
T

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was reading up on forscan. Seems easy enough to use. Thanks

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Manufacturers are required to have high beams cut out the fogs. Not sure what the stipulation is because the newer super duty headlights have 2 low beam bulbs that run plus fogs so that’s a total of 6 bulbs running on low beam if you have fogs on. They too cut the fogs out when put to high beam.

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Forscan is suprisingly easy to use, but as they say "measure twice, cut once"...when playing with computer code mistakes can snowball

The reason fogs are set to cut off with high beams by default is because their functions are are counter intuitive. High beams in fog bounce off the fog and actually reduce visibility. High beams are designed to push light further down the road and fog lights are designed to light up the ground closer to the vehicle. There isn't a real strong reason most people would ever actually need both at the same time. Bambi mode doesn't really scare off the Bambis and probably only marginally increases visibility...

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Fogs can't run with the high beams if the low beams stay lit.

Virginia code:
B. Not more than four lights used to provide general illumination ahead of the vehicle, including at least two headlights and any other combination of fog lights or other auxiliary lights approved by the Superintendent, shall be lighted at any time.

This is pretty much a plain English description of "Title 49 - Transportation. Subtitle B - Other Regulations Relating To Transportation (Continued). CHAPTER V - NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION. PART 571 - FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS. Subpart B - Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards." which specifies no more than 4 lights (two high beams + two low beams) at one time.

Other states will mirror the Federal requirement with their own language.

But few know and no one cares. :)

-- Chuck

OP
OP
T

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem I have is when I visit my mother in Delaware there aren’t any street lights in her area. When I use my high beams and the fogs turn off the road directly in front of me is in the dark. Found a few potholes that way. Just trying to have my cake and eat it too