Ford 6R80 6 Speed Transmission Fluid and Filter Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ezeq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks makuloco and everyone, i just change my tranny fluid and filter myself awhile ago. I bought SP . It runs like brand new . lol

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Apparently, the tranny takes 6.5 quarts. After driving this morning and getting it warmed up real good, as soon as I got home I kept it running, shifted it thru all the gears and then pulled the cap off the dipstick. Immediately, about a half-pint of fluid came out. I quickly put the cap back on and shut it down. I left it set for 5 hours, then fired it up and checked it again. It's half-way into the crosshatch with the tranny still warm. I plan on checking it cold first thing in the morning and see if it's at the bottom of the crosshatch. Don't know why Makuloco didn't answer my question.

Last edited:

ezeq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
tocapet, after i filled mine around 4.5 quarts, I kept the engine running , shifted to all gears like you did yours, and
filling it up an additional 2 quarts. As soon as it started dripping, i put the cap back on.

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, it seems that these transmissions take 7.5 quarts when you do a filter change. Don't know why the manuals don't say this. They only specify a full refill of converter and everything. Do they really want us to be putting in 4.5 quarts and then checking and adding for 2 more? They could just say put in 7 and then check it. Add another 1/2 quart if necessary to bring it up to the mark.

2007EXPY

Reaction score
I understand this procedure only chagers about half of the tranmission fluid as the entire tranny holds some 14 quarts.
What is the procedure to replace all of the tranny fluid?

Dlr03

Reaction score
Transmission

Sorry been away from the boards what is the exact question you are still having?

Hello I am new to this forum my question is I did an transmission fluid change on my 09 Ford F-150 the dealer went by the vin and gave me merconlv when I filled it and was ready to put the dipstick back in I notice it say use only mercon sp I called different dealers and everyone went by the vin and told me to use lv one dealer said since my truck was made in May of 09 it was a early truck and might have the 08 trany in it makulococand you help me with this problem this is my work truck and I am now stuck with no truck because of this confusion