frame rusted through

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdavid13

Reaction score
I have an 06 expedition limited. I just bought it 6 months ago and finally looked under it. The part of the frame that is under the radiator is rusted through on both sides. On the top of the frame is the rubber mounts. The frame farther back is fine, under the engine. Is this something to worry about? Is it time to get rid of it?
any thoughts or ideas?
thanks

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is the radiator core support. It's a common problem on Expys. Some people replace them at a cost of appr. $1000. I would keep driving the truck unless it so loose that the fan is hitting the radiator. It could last for quite a while.

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did our 2005 expy and my 2001 f150.Parts about $125.00 for support. I bolted with 1/4 inch bolts then lined up everything then filled the spot welds up.Not really hard. Hardest part drilling spot welds and mount bolts were frozen.I didn't remove air cond. or fan shroud or hood moved them out of the way. tied hood up to rafter.

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are there any write ups or ways of 'Jerry rigging' the fix for this on higher mileage rigs? Using slotted angles, etc. - anything short of replacing the entire radiator support?

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are there any write ups or ways of 'Jerry rigging' the fix for this on higher mileage rigs? Using slotted angles, etc. - anything short of replacing the entire radiator support?

There is a video on youtube called: How to fix and repair a radiator support mount cradle bracket. He made brackets and supported the radiator from the bottom. I ask the guy about it about 2 years after installation and he said it was holding up fine. Seems like it worth a shot.

OP
OP
T

tdavid13

Reaction score
After looking at replacement parts. I think the radiator support is fine. Where it's rusted through is where that support attaches to the frame itself right above the rubber bushings06 expedition frame rust.jpg . So I think the frame is rusted not the support.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's not called the frame. The frame is just the black rectangular metal and the bracket in the pic.
That is part of body and probably is what they call core support.
Core support is typically the front metal body like piece that goes vertically between the two front ends of frame rails. It is what the radiator and condenser and other front end stuff mounts to.

Last edited:

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's not called the frame. The frame is just the black rectangular metal adn the bracket in the pic.
That is part of body and probably is what they call core support.
Core support is typically the front metal body like piece that goes vertically between the two front ends of frame rails. It is what the radiator and condenser and other front end stuff mounts to.

You called that perfect.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sheet metal is cheap. How Tim Allen are you? Home improvement. I believe in buying whatever you need to complete a job! I hate borrowing, I'd rather be the one others call to borrow. Pissed me off to depend on others for a tool. Some tools I own are one shot deals, but that's me. You kinda lower yourself when you call a buddy to borrow a tool/machine. They'll lend it, but guys, theirs a mechanics code, return it to the owner no more than 4 days after you borrow it! And if you damage it, you pay the man. That's old school, and it pertains today. That's why you hear me say, buy your own, work on your own. It's a pride thing. I'd rather mess up 3 times myself, rather than pay a bonehead once. Its worked for me for a lot of years. Go get dirty, but stay warm!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk