Freshen Her Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soldatlamour

Reaction score
I've got a 2000 XLT which has been sitting idle in my driveway for about 1.5yrs since I picked up an FJ.

My love affair for the FJ has run its course, so I thought I'd get an F-150. But, then again I thought I'd just plow some money into the Expy and save from having car note for another 4-5 years.

I'm probably right-side up on the FJ by $3-4K. I can add a few $k to that.

So, if you were going to try and get another 5yrs out of this 2000 Expy (with 240k mi), what would you do?

Motor and Tranny are fine, but could there me some basic motor work that I should do (replace rings, etc ... I'm not a Motörhead, so I'm just a sponge waiting to soak up all knowledge thrown my way).

I was thinking more along the lines of making it a better ride : suspensions, front end, etc. get new carpeting/upholstery?

Thanks for your comments

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FJ resale is such that I'd maybe consider holding on to it. Tuck it away in the garage, occasional weekend driver, keeping the mileage and wear/tear low. Their retained value is north of 90%, better than any other vehicle on the road, and that number is only growing. I thought our Jeep Wrangler had a ridiculous 75'ish percent resale.

If you are trying to save some money and get more life out of a 240K mile 17-year-old Expedition, I'd do exactly nothing to it. Gas, oil, belts, brakes, and tires only when needed and fix anything major when and only when it breaks. There will be zero return on your money for a new interior or rebuilt engine.

Probably not the most popular answer on a Expedition owners forum, but if its not broken, don't try to fix it. The words investment and vehicle often don't even belong in the same conversation, especially one involving a mass produced domestic SUV.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as the Expedition: fix what you need to and drive it.

Depending on age and condition, the shocks may need to be replaced, the steering components may need to be replaced. If it's running fine, no need to do anything other than basic maintenance.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Any vehicle will nickel and dime you, with that mileage and age. Repair shops, will cost you big dollars. Fixing it in the driveway, is never fun. The only way, I would do it, is with a back up vehicle. I have owned my 2000 Expy for 9 yrs. My mechanic, warned me a few years ago. I have changed ball joints, tierods, exhaust manifolds, muffler, wheel bearings, brakes, tires, power steering line, transmission lines, AC compressor and lines, rear diff cover, two batteries, dip stick tube, shocks, front CV shaft, emergency brake cables, serpentine belt, idler pulley and spark plugs and coils. I have been lucky, so far, but I also own 2 other cars. I probably put $3000 in it, over the years.

OP
OP
S

soldatlamour

Reaction score
Thank you - I think for a daily driver I'm going to get a 4yr old F150. You make very good points about reliability

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm curious how many miles you put on the truck since you bought it. Did it start to nickel and dime
you in the last 3 years? I have an 03 Expy EB and it's been really good with minimal repairs. Current miles is 113500. I have been looking for another SUV but I'm reluctant to get rid of mine.
Do you think I should keep it for another year or two?

When looking at all the work done on your truck I would think you do most of the repairs yourself.
There is no way it would happen at a mechanic in CT for that price. Thanks

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I purchased it with 78,000mi. , it now has 103k. The repairs, span over 9yrs. A good friend, with a shop, did much of the work, cheap. I did some work also. I did not mention I replaced running boards, both painted, rusty bumpers(with chrome), had the rockers and lowers touched up and driver seat leather re-done(prob another $2k, for all). I like the truck, like not having a payment, it looks and drives great. I am getting a new Expedition...one part at a time. Looking back, I probably could be driving a newer model, for what I spent. However, I do not like the look of the newer Expeditions.

Last edited:

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to replace my rocker and have another area with a lot of rust and that is the radiator core support. Expy are know for this and its a pain to repair. The whole front end has to come off to replace it. The rest of the body is in very good condition though. I will probably keep it for at least another year.

I'm not sure about the 3.5 eco boost. I hear problems with carbon building up on the valves. Some people put a catch can on the truck but that will void the warranty.

When you consider the price of the new Expy the $5000 you put in the truck seems like a bargain.