Front Drive Shaft Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IvDogg

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently picked up a 99' XLT 4x4.

I got it with the front drive shaft removed, the previous owner said he removed it to get better fuel economy.

1. Anybody have any quantifiable data on how much fuel is saved by removing the front drive shaft if any?

2. I would like to put it back in to regain 4x4 capability, what would be the best way to text the 4x4 shift system before I put it on if any? Or can I only test it with the drive shaft installed?

3. Anybody have any good references or 'how to's' for installing the front drive shaft? Is it fairly easy?

Thanks.

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If possible have the front shaft balanced first from a local shaft/spring shop that can do this prior to reinstallation.

Since the previous owner probably didn't place index marks on the shaft and couplers. I would just install it and listen/feel for vibrations as you drive and slowly increase the speed.
:head3:

OP
OP
IvDogg

IvDogg

Reaction score
mindgame, thanks for the tip, but I if it's not that cheap I'm just gonna test it the hard way like you said.

Does anyone know how I can test my 4x4 controls before putting on the front drive shaft? I'd hate to install it just to find out the previous owner took it out 'cause something else was wrong with the 4x4 system...

If I turn my switch to 4x4HI without the drive shift to test if the system works will I damage anything? Should the notification come on in the instrument panel?

Thanks!

B

bedrck46

If possible try to contact the previous owner and ask him to be honest (which he may have been) and ask if there was any problems with the 4X4 system Its kind of too late but tell him you are planning to re-install the front shaft and just want to make sure before you do. Also let him know that you want to know so you can fix any problem that may have existed. Although you may be upset if you now find there were problems but don't act that way.

Then place the vehicle on blocks and re-install the shaft and slowly run it through A4wd 4H and 4L. You may want to check or change fluids also.

You should get the light to work on the dash If not then there could be an electrical problem or a problem with the shift motor

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bedrck46

The following was copied from the service manual

Removal

1. WARNING: The electrical power to the air suspension system must be shut off prior to hoisting, jacking or towing an air suspension vehicle. This can be accomplished by turning off the air suspension switch located in the RH kick panel area. Failure to do so can result in unexpected inflation or deflation of the air springs, which can result in shifting of the vehicle during these operations.

With the transmission in neutral, raise and support the vehicle.

2.Remove the front driveshaft shield.
Remove the front driveshaft shield nuts.
Remove the front driveshaft shield.

3.Index mark the front driveshaft (4602) and the pinion flange.
Repeat it on the transfer case pinion flange to front driveshaft flange yoke (4866

4.Remove the front driveshaft.
Remove the four driveshaft slip yoke to transfer case bolts.
Carefully remove the front driveshaft.

5.Separate the front driveshaft from the transfer case.
Remove the driveshaft flange yoke to front drive axle pinion flange bolts.
Carefully remove the front driveshaft.

Installation

1.Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mindgame, thanks for the tip, but I if it's not that cheap I'm just gonna test it the hard way like you said.

Does anyone know how I can test my 4x4 controls before putting on the front drive shaft? I'd hate to install it just to find out the previous owner took it out 'cause something else was wrong with the 4x4 system...

If I turn my switch to 4x4HI without the drive shift to test if the system works will I damage anything? Should the notification come on in the instrument panel?

Thanks!

You can shift it without the Front shaft.. I've done it many times :) Just keep the truck in park or neutral (with brakes on)..
:head3:

Expyguru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hope you have better luck bought mine with the front drive shaft out said the same thing. put it in and tranfer case chain was bad. The good thing is there easy to rebuild.

skeeter9

Reaction score
:hmm:Hi, the truck is designed for AWD. Removing the front shaft may not have improved anything. Try going to the junk yard and pick up the front shaft. Should not cost much. Change the transfer case fluid at the same time as the shaft install. Check owners manual on fluid type, normally 2 quarts. This is the cheapest way out; hopefully no damage to transfer case.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
If you're getting a junkyard driveshaft, it may not be a bad idea to take it to a driveshaft shop and have it checked for straightness, balance and the condition of the joints.

When that driveshaft goes in, you want to be sure that it is a 'known good' part. That way if there's a problem with the system, it's easier to diagnose.

OP
OP
IvDogg

IvDogg

Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for the feedback, I'll let you know how it goes, I spent this past weekend changing the oil pickup tube on my A4 (PITA!!! Had to hoist the engine and drop the sub frame in order to drop the oil pan!)...

Anyways, I have the original drive shaft (came with the car), and it looks like it's in pretty good shape... I have a few more things to do before I put the drive shaft back in... Ball joints squeak really loud, and the previous owner replaced the front tires with some used ones that are slightly smaller :boxed: .