Front Drive Shaft Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyways, I have the original drive shaft (came with the car), and it looks like it's in pretty good shape...

Dude take the front shaft to Hawaii Spring Supply (Kalihi) for balancing before installing to make sure all is good.
:head3:

Reaction score
when i installed the lift kit for my f150, i had the front drive shaft balanced since it had to be reclocked , it cost me 30 bucks for the rebalance at a local drive line shop. shouldnt be much different from that.

OP
OP
IvDogg

IvDogg

Reaction score
So I finally got under there the other day to verify the front drive shaft install... Anyone know where I can buy bolts to get the drive shaft back on?

The drive-shaft is already bolted to the u joints on both ends, looking for the u joint to trans-axle and u joint to front diff.

Thanks.

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can buy bolts to get the drive shaft back on?

Thanks.

I went to Honolulu Ford, and they sold me the correct 12 point bolt that was required long ago when I lost one because I forgot to put loctite..
:head3:

OP
OP
IvDogg

IvDogg

Reaction score
I just ordered the bolts from a local Ford Dealership. For everyone's reference, part# N800594-S100 $3.32/ea.

OP
OP
IvDogg

IvDogg

Reaction score
Just updating, so I installed the drive shaft, 4 HI and Low work great, but...

When running in AWD on sharp turns I get that rough skidding feel as if it were in 4x4 HI or Low...

I read on another post somewhere that the wheel speed sensors may be faulty; since it can't detect the wheel speed AWD operates like 4x4 HI. My ABS warning light comes on after driving a few feet; that should be consistent with a bad speed sensor right?

If so, how do I find out which wheel?

Chuy

Reaction score
Hey just signed up to the forum, Thanks for all the info. I'm trying to reinstall the front driveshaft on my 98 expedition and this really helped. Just for anyone that may be going through the same thing just wanted to post some info:

I found the bolts at O'Reilly it's the Dorman HELP! brand part # 80992.

hwy73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You said the previous owner replaced the front tires with smaller ones. This could be causing the issue with the A4WD. The front wheels and back wheels are turning at different speeds. This is what causes the A4WD to engage.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edyk1986