Front struts...any preference?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dano

Reaction score
Hey all...my 05 Expy needs fron struts and coils. anybody got any recommendations as to what holds up, and won't break the bank?

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 05. You do have options a lot of folks like the whole quick strut method I did not go that route because of the reviews I read that they go out quicker than expected. It does depend on how you use your vehicle. I drive a lot and offroad so I went with the Bilstien and Moog constant rate springs (plus new mounts) more expensive than the other rout but not by much (labor is more as well) One thing Im going to change is the springs I will be going back to the variable rate I had an idea for the constant rate for off road but made a mistake, not big but wrong, so I would stick with the variable (finding variable rate other than oem is a challenge and that could be a much bigger expense)

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm swapping out my Bilstein HD's for some KYB complete units. The Bilsteins are valved too stiff, they tear up the upper mounts, and their own bushings. The KYBs are more like the stock units.

-Mike

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with hamfisted, I had bilsteins on my 2000 4x4 and right from the get go the ride was like a set of worn out shocks. It's a shame cause bilsteins are top shelf for German vehicles. Besides oem Ford from the dealer, Kyb is one of the few that rides decent. We tried Monroe on one of our town cars back in 2011, horrible! Mechanic said he uses kyb, we swapped them day and night difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Monroe quick struts have been great. I have more than 30k on them and they are still riding just as good as when they were new. Ride and height is the same as stock. At 125 per I would buy them again. I wouldn't go for anything less expensive than the monroes though.

OP
OP
D

dano

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I was kinda leaning towards them. Also was looking at the Rough Country (Them or Rancho), the had one with a 2" lift. Didn't know if it would make the front too high, if I didn't do anything to the rear right away.

OP
OP
D

dano

Reaction score
I ended up putting on the Monroe quick strut. Probably one of the easiest repairs I've done to it. But one question, torquing the bottom strut nut. I seen a video that says it's 350ft.lbs., my wrench only goes to 250, so I did that and a little more.
Asked a mechanic at the local ford dealer he said it's only 292ft.lb.. I looked at my local library in a Chilton and it shows 350 ft.lb. Where the heck do I get this torqued to them specs?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
copied from the 2005 Ford Service Manual

Burn the Chilton Get the Ford Manual on DVD

Torque Specifications
Description Nm lb-ft
Wheel hub-to-knuckle bolts 150 111
Axle-to-wheel hub nut 27 20
Wheel end actuator-to-wheel knuckle bolts 15 11
Tie-rod end nut 150 111
Upper ball joint nut 150 111