Fuel cut? Hard cornering.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bamfexpy

Reaction score
Hi I usually lurk around these forums but since you're all pretty cool I decided to post.

Have any of you experienced a fuel cut or bog during hard cornering?

It may be low fuel level but I've had it happen about 3 times now. Did ford install some type of traction or rollover control? The cut happened to me once while hard accelerating from a stop but the low fuel light was on and I had power very quickly. This power delay feeling I get during a hard turn lasts longer. Happens at low speed and high speed for about 2-3 seconds (probably shorter than that) I'm saving up for sway bars but if there are electronics inhibiting cornering I'd rather deal with that first.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Hi I usually lurk around these forums but since you're all pretty cool I decided to post.

Have any of you experienced a fuel cut or bog during hard cornering?

It may be low fuel level but I've had it happen about 3 times now. Did ford install some type of traction or rollover control? The cut happened to me once while hard accelerating from a stop but the low fuel light was on and I had power very quickly. This power delay feeling I get during a hard turn lasts longer. Happens at low speed and high speed for about 2-3 seconds (probably shorter than that) I'm saving up for sway bars but if there are electronics inhibiting cornering I'd rather deal with that first.
Thanks in advance!

Does it happen if you keep a minimum of 1/2 tank of fuel??

I would say no on electronics cutting power (intentionally) while cornering though I could not confirm with later gen expys.

My guess is fuel pump. The sump on the fuel tank is near the rear so it should do fairly well upon acceleration unless really low on fuel. Other conditions I cannot say. If it has run dry a few times the pump may be getting "weak" or possibly damaged. Fuel is what is used to cool the pump. Guess its possible the sock has come loose from the pump inlet but unlikely.

I try never to let mine get below 1/4 tank so I do not risk running my pump dry under higher g conditions.

Also make sure you are not low on oil... that can be far more costly if the oil pump runs dry at any point. Race cars use specially baffled oil pans or dry sump systems to ensure good oil control and pressure under high g conditions. You could get an oil pan designed for road racing or high lateral g's.

Last edited:

215Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know about the Expeditions but i know my Grand Cherokee would do that when i would turn hard and i found out it was because of the computer would cut power to the engine when it thought there was going to be a roll over.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mine does it on sharp right turns and uphills. has to be super low though. less than 1/4.