Fuel gauge reads empty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeyg8

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After a 40 mile trip to work I stopped the truck and noticed fuel reading empty and light on. I know I have at least ½ tank so how do I fix it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm in the process of this as well.

For me, it turned out that the foam float on the fuel level sensor on the fuel pump in the fuel tank came off.

I've also read that the fuel level sensor itself can go bad. And the gauge can go bad. There's some kind of trick with resistors to see if the gauge works- I didn't do that.

OP
OP
J

joeyg8

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lately it has been working but then for a day it won't work. And when it starts working again the reading is wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem can be in any of three areas: gauge, wire harness or sending unit in the tank.
If you don't have the tools and ability repair it your next option would be take it to a shop for repair. Or if the trip meter works correctly you can use that as a gauge based on the amount if miles you get for a full tank.

Last edited:

kcinga

Reaction score
+1 on the float seperating itself from the sending unit. I had the same issue and ExplorerTom gave me the inspiration to have a go at it. I had actually bought a hanger unit from the local pull a part so I had a sending unit just in case. Once I dropped the tank and pulled the assembly out of the tank I was somewhat relieved to just see the float missing. I only changed the float and put it all back together. Several hours later - gauge is back and I am pretty plesed with the results.

Cant say thanks enough to the guys on this board that really know these trucks and share that knowledge/experience.

Now Im off in search of a COP thats causing a slight studder at low speed low rpm......

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
kcinga;226164 I only changed the float and put it all back together. Several hours later - gauge is back and I am pretty plesed with the results. Cant say thanks enough to the guys on this board that really know these trucks and share that knowledge/experience. QUOTE said:
Just curious as to how many miles were on the pump that you only replaced the float??

If you had over 125000 miles on that pump you may be going thru the whole process again.