Fuel pump going out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08HybridOK

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuel pump going out? Longer cranks to start.

So after some searching, it appears my fuel pump may be dieing, it's been taking more cranks in the morning to start then normal. (Say normal was 2 seconds, now it's like 10). But if I turn the key to run for a few seconds, then start, it's normal again.

So what others say is it's the fuel pump (just replace the filter about a year ago).

They also say it's a $700-1,000 job at a dealer/mechanic.

So I go to Rock auto and there are pumps starting at $20 to $200, Oreiley has from $90 to $500!

I didn't think there would be such variety & confusion.

Which pump do I need to get, I can go with local stores, rock auto, amazon, etc.

It's a 2000 5.4 2WD, originally has the rear air suspension; but is now springs.

Thanks for any help, direction (And instructions?)

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The pumps I've bought from Rock Auto have been Denso or something like that. Still going strong. Why pay more than you have to? You may have to do very minor wiring changes due to different plugs the industry uses - just adding connectors mostly.
Biggest pain is the connectors used on the lines, you'll need the fuel line disconnect tools for that. You'll also need a set of stands to get it up in the air and another set for the tank. Impact tools speed up removal.
Let us know how detailed you want the step by step instructions. My expy is the 4.6 so I'll assume they will be similar if not identical.

Last edited:
OP
OP

08HybridOK

Full Access Members
Reaction score

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only time I replace the pump and sender is when the vehicle has high mileage or there has been trouble with the gas gauge. If there hasn't been it is a judgement call if you want to replace it. On my personal vehicles I've only changed the pump.
I wouldn't trust the $20 pump unless it was a known name that was a close out special.
The video you posted is about right other than having a lift and the jack to support the tank.

FYI - have the tank as close to empty as possible so that it is easier to handle. Remember that you are working on a bomb of sorts once the lines are off and even more so once the pump is out. No sparks or you will have an exciting time on your hands.

Last edited:
OP
OP

08HybridOK

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have a pressure gauge.

Once started it runs fine. It's just taking longer to start.

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds more like a fuel filter. Why go through a ton of hassle for nothing. Have you ever replaced the fuel filter?

OP
OP

08HybridOK

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds more like a fuel filter. Why go through a ton of hassle for nothing. Have you ever replaced the fuel filter?

I think it was just last summer, at most 8-10k miles ago.

Not sure if.when it was replaced prior to that.

If I buy a gauge; what should I be checking? I mean steps, a reading prior to cold start, while cranking or turn key to prime, etc?

It also only seems to be the first start of the day that's longer. I can leave it sit an hour or 2 and it starts normally.

plugs? It still has original plugs (86k miles so far)
Change filter again? Not even sure what brand I bought last year.

Thanks for the advise.

jbanks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can rent/borrow the fuel pressure test kit from the major auto parts stores.

Fuel Pump Diagnostic Kit | AutoZone.com

I'm interested in this thread too. I have also started experiencing longer cranking time. At 155000 miles it seemed to just take a second or two crank. But now I'm at 163000 and it seems like i need 3-5 seconds to crank. I am wondering if it is the injectors bleeding down the fuel pressure and you just have to crank it a couple seconds longer to let the fuel pressure build up to an acceptable level.