Fuel pump going out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey look, we're men. Men love tools. Fuel Pressure gauges are a given for the tool box along with other chrome plated tools. Suck it up and buy yourself one for Fathers Day.
When you get over 50 like myself and go looking through your roller toolbox for a tool you need, you run across tools not only do you not remember having, you don't remember buying them. The problem comes with the third stage - not remembering what it is and how to use it. That is just around the corner for me.

Cycle your ignition to "on" 2-3 times without starting. You should hear the fuel pump whirring then stop during each cycle. On the 3rd cycle go ahead and start. This primes the fuel rail with enough pressure to start the motor.

OP
OP

08HybridOK

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, rented a gauge from auto zone; somethings wrong:

Screwed it onto the fuel rail (I assume, it was the tire valve looking thing on the steel rail on the passenger side behind the wires & hoses right?)

Instructions said to finger tighten; so I did, Off, gauge at 0, turn to run, still 0, start up, still 0????

So is their gauge bad, or did I connect something wrong?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gauge not tightened all the way on the valve or it is bad.
Try it in another vehicle if possible.

OP
OP

08HybridOK

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update:
I didn't try gauge on my Hybrid; just didn't want to risk screwing it up somehow.

But this week it seems the big X is back to normal. Just a few seconds to start again. ????