Fuel Smell and Ticks. No Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Time to tackle this before I start hauling the trailer all summer.

Expy works great, drives great, has no driving issues and throws NO codes.

When I first start it up, there is a strong fuel smell. Its clearly gas, but its gone within moments, and does not return. Its not that I started moving, if I start it to defrost it, the smell goes away after one or two "puffs."

I also have what I think is a ticking sound coming from the Passenger side of the block. It only ticks when I am pressing the gas and moving. You can rev the engine and its not there, but once you get going, its there. I only noticed it when I passed a wall and the sound echoed through an open window. I will try to get a video if need be.

My first thought is Exhaust problem? Manifold leak? Its starting to warm up, my kid is back in school after spring break so I can go check things FAST and easy, so any and all advice welcomed.

Thanks in advance and for any other answers yall have given me.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you get any similar sound when you bang on the catalytic converter with the motor off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have concluded its the right side Catalytic. Can I replace just the right side or should I do both? as far as I can tell the other is fine.

If I were to get a BETTER Cat, should I replace both sides?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the temp of the cat with a temp gun and compare it to the other one, engine running of course. If the cat that is in question isn't hotter than the other I would live with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okiman