****** gas milage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

macb

Reaction score
Fuel Filter, O2 Sensors, Air Filter done - better, going to get the plugs changed this week (too much hassle - going to pay to have it done...shoot the engineer)

FYI: I got the O2 sensors (Bosch) at Autozone - they had a
Gas Rebate Card from Bosch
$10 per sensor up to 3.
Granted $30 of Gas isn't much gas these days - but it helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
macb let us know what your gas milage goes up to after you get everything done.

when i do all the stuff to mine i am hoping to get right at 16-20 miles per gallon and i am hoping that is possible with the big 5.4 under the hood

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just joined the forum.....
The main thing that is killing the gas mileage is the way these things shift in stop and go driving. They are always in one gear too high with the torque converter locked up. When it's time to accelerate, you almost have to put the pedal to the floor to get it to downshift. After tuning the transmission shift points and converter lockup, this thing gets another 2-3 miles to the gallon around town as long as I keep my foot out of the throttle to show the Ricers that my American SUV will walk all over them...LOL
I get about 13-14 MPG in town and a little over 21 MPG on the highway. But I also have it tuned for Premium (more timing) but I will be trying the same tune with E85 very soon.
Matt

Bullitt5094

Reaction score
I'm considering upgrading from my current 2000 Explorer XLT with a 5.0 to an Expedition so I can better pull my trailered Mustang. Is there any chance the new 3V 5.4 is doing better gas mileage wise than the older motors? I hate to give up the SUV thing and have to go to a truck to tow and maintain decent gas mileage. Currently get 14-16mph while towing around the flatlands of the southeast with the old tech pushrod 5.0 motor.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The new 3V motors have more compression and will give you a little bit better mileage than the older ones. If you can run premium I can get you enough mileage increase to pay for the difference in fuel and add another 30 HP by changing the tune.......
I am getting 21.5MPG on the Hwy wiht my 03 4x4 on premium fuel and it is the 2V motor... It got 16MPG on the highway stock.

bat-stang

Reaction score
Where can you be reached to do a tune on my 2k Eddie? I've recently pulled what I considered a small diameter cold air kit and noticed a loss of mileage with the stock intake w/K+N. I'd like to be back in the 19mpg range on the h/w rather than the 15-17 range that I'm in now.

Batman

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It won't be till late July. I am in New York untill then. So you are saying that you lost mileage with a cold air intake? If it is sucking hot air from under the hood it will lower the timing and hurt the mileage and possibly make it idle too fast because of the intake air temperature. You can call me as I am bored as hell...LOL 979-324-4348
Matt

bat-stang

Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't clear: I thought that the aftermarket intake piping was too small, so I swapped the stock piece back in. The poorer mileage was realized with the stock piece w/ K+N. I will install a new C/A kit but also would like some adjustments done to my shift points and stuff. I've written down your number, and I'll call later.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds good... What is your stock computer code? It will be written on the connector on the computer. It will be something like rvap4 or something like that. Your computer is above your left foot or in the passenger side kick panel. Let me know so I can do some recon ahead of time...
Matt