****** gas milage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well guys and gals i have been doing some gas milage checks and it is getting better after i changed my fuel filter went up 2 miles per gallon. now all i got to do is change the spark plugs and the 02 sensors and get a cold air intake and the cat back exhaust sytewm and them i might see 18 miles per gallon or more atleast thats what i am hoping for

on a side not i think i am getting better gas milage if i run the good stuff what would cause that

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The good stuff burns a little slower than regular, try the midgrade and see if it gets the same mileage as premium. If you want to run the good stuff all the time get a tune for it and it will reward you with even better mileage. You can run more timing and get more power and better mileage.
Matt

bat-stang

Reaction score
Matt--
I haven't forgotten you! I just finished moving and am now on a graveyard set--busy, busy, busy. I'll get that processor code.

Thanks,
Batman

OP
OP
M

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok so that would explain why i do get better with the good stuff and i do plan on getting a good tune after i get everything eles done to the truck that i want to do so i dont have to get a retune if i decide to do something different

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might want to check out Sniper Tuning. They have a package called "special forces" that allow you (the end user) to make changes as you add/change modifications. I know I keep pushing these guys, but the guys behind the company are the guys that have been working behind the scenes at the big operations like superchips, diablosport, and hypertech. You actually make changes with your home computer or laptop and download it to the flash programmer. You can even change things like WOT shift firmness and shift RPM, add or take away timing and adjust the mixture to suit the modifications. If you need anything really special done like part throttle shifting or really wild combinations you can have the changes done by them or someone with the dyno shop version software (like me) and changes can be done via email or in a dyno shop.
They are the only ones really offering this kind of programmer and you wouldn't have to buy any more hardware to make changes later.
Matt

2THWTR

Reaction score
One thing for sure on my '03 is that it is nearly the same all of the time! Fairly heavy foot, 13-14 around town and 16-17 on the road. I see the new '07's with their new 6 speed O/D tranny can still only muster an EPA rating of 14 and 19! One thing that I saw on the horizon is a possible hybrid model coming out, but they are only looking for a 10-15% gain even with that. If you want gas mileage, you have to give up the space and utility that this truck has in spades.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my premium tune (custom) and some transmission shifting changes I get around 14 in town and 20.5 on the highway with my 4x4 as long as I keep my foot out of the boost range.....
Matt

magic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 1999 Expy. Will the midgrade fuel make any difference to the gas/mileage?

thanks

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not without reprogramming the computer for the better fuel. The timing curves were designed for cheap gas and the better octane wouldn't really be taken advantage of.

Matt