GEM Module?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tshepp16

Reaction score
Hey looking for help with GEM module (I think). Drive 98 EB Expy 4x4 power windows/locks don’t work or interior lights.. (put power to driver and passenger side windows and the motors work. I’m thinking it’s GEM module how big of a headache is this going to be as I’ve read some different things. Any kind of test you can do? Also found sketchy wiring in driver and passenger Side front doors with connectors for windows unplugged? Will post pics later this week as I’m on road for work. Thanks guys, cheers.
Shepp

outdare

Reaction score
Not a expedition but I have a 97 f150. The windshield seal started to leak and dripped on the gem box. My truck acted like it was possessed. The radio would come one when no one was in it. The chime would freak out. The battery wouldn't hold a charge etc. The gem module for the truck was on the back side of the fuse box by driver left knee. I had to send the gem box off to be repaired. No replacement available. 2 week turn around.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tshepp16

Tshepp16

Reaction score
You get dealer to do that? Or do you think local shop could figure it out? Guess I will ask around. Hoping it’s not going to be a small fortune to get the stupid thing fixed/replaced.

outdare

Reaction score
I took it out myself and sent it off. It cost me $190 ( I did this back in 17) for a rebuilt one. I did the testing and searched the internet for the testing help. Removing it is a pain. It is in a tight space. I just removed the whole fuse box and then took the Gem off the back. I'll see if I can find the place I used. I replaced my fuse box and it didn't help. It is the multiple problems that lead to the gem box and what it controls. The company I used is out of business. I found several on eBay below around $100.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1162811

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tacoswamper

Reaction score
Test your GEM before you replace it, they're expensive and the process to swap it out is a pain. Get a bluetooth adapter and download Forscan and have it scan your GEM. It'll hopefully tell you whether or not you actually need to replace it.

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are good vids out there for diagnosing (think mighta been f150) power window issues that can be other than gem related. There are 5 relays in the dash, pax side accessible from the top right cover, one fix i saw was bridging a power wire to the relays.

OP
OP
Tshepp16

Tshepp16

Reaction score
Test your GEM before you replace it, they're expensive and the process to swap it out is a pain. Get a bluetooth adapter and download Forscan and have it scan your GEM. It'll hopefully tell you whether or not you actually need to replace it.
How can you test GEM????

Doonze

Reaction score
I just replaced my GEM. It didn't fix the issue I was hoping, but it did fix my speedo that only worked about 15% of the time. It really wasn't that hard honestly. 4 bolts holding the fuse box in. Two bolts holding on the two big wiring harnesses. Space is tight, but it's doable. Took me 30 mins to remove? About the same to put back in.