Getting ready for some...fun.../s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I purchased a 2006 Expy EB a couple months ago knowing it had an engine knock/misfire. Didn’t really sound like the phaser issue, but have since decided that it is. I knew that buying it (got a great price for the truck).

I’m getting ready to purchase all the parts to do a complete job, and here is what I have in the cart:

Ford timing set including Ford phasers
Ford VCT solenoids
FelPro Valve cover gaskets
Melling M340HV oil pump

After chatting with the friend that I am going to have help with this, we have decided that though we don’t need to, we are going to pull the engine and do the exhaust manifolds as well. (Dorman manifolds with Ford gaskets. Both listed by FordTechMakuloco) Again, we are completely aware that we don’t need to pull the engine, but it will make doing both repairs much easier. Plus, it looks like a possible leak around the rear main, but not sure.

Any suggestions? He’s pulled engines on the Expy’s and F150’s before, so I’m not worried about that. Just looking for suggestions or things to either make it easier, or other things I should look for/do while it’s out.

OP
OP
Shawn Rundblade
Reaction score
67F0AA30-6093-4A76-9605-21E869189B95.jpeg Just wanted to update on this. After deciding to just do the phaser on the affected bank, I pulled the valve cover (which I asked the mechanic to do for me and he wouldn’t) and found what I though could have been the culprit. It chewed up and spit out the exhaust rocker on #8 which is why it was acting like a clogged exhaust not a timing issue. Returned the phaser since they really aren’t that noisy and replaced the rocker. It will need a cam since it was a bit rough, but not horrid. I will save that for when I do the full “bulletproofing”.

Thing runs great now. Got a steal of a deal on it, and its the vehicle I wanted.

Now, to get it painted a matte dark (almost black) gray, and toss some SHIELD logos on it.. ;)

OP
OP
Shawn Rundblade
Reaction score
I just got the vehicle a couple months ago, and just got it running. Not sure what the previous owner was running but I assume the suggested 5w20.

It has been changed now to 5w30 synthetic. It was a bit on the sludgy side, so I tossed in some seafoam and will change it again in about 1000mi. It will eventually be the valvoline full synthetic or possibly Rotella. Still want to do some reasearch on it.