Got my 4.56 gears done!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poppa Wheelie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So finally got it done. I know I am only rolling 33s now, but I also tow our toy hauler. When loaded for a trip, it's actually heavier than my truck. Also, my stock gears were 3.30s. WTH? 330 on a truck?
Anyway, I can really feel the difference. Can't wait to hook up the trailer next month and drag the quads out to central Oregon. Just need to get the speedo fixed cuz now the actual speed I'm going is .7777 of what the speedo says. :eek:
Will have it set for 4.56 and 34 1/4 tires, as then when the 35s go on, I won't have to re-do it.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
nice! you get the front done as well too? since you have an 01 you can buy a tuner and it will recalibrate it. so just get an edge! haha

OP
OP
Poppa Wheelie

Poppa Wheelie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ummm, of course I did the front. That's like asking if the sun is hot. So the answer is yes :cool:
good thinking on the tuner. hadn't really given that much thought. Speedo/odo correction, more power when u need and more mpg when u dont. Sounds pretty good. I will check out that edge.
Thx

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 for edge... it actually made a big difference with the 37s... running 3.73 gears for now... but the edge will adjust for gears and tires... plus can real time monitor 8 different parameters while you are driving... I would check them out...

O yeah I am jealous you got gears done :p:p... I want 4.56 or 4.88s but have too many other bills than to dump that much money into expy...

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah. i just dont have money. school and working 1 day a week. but i want an edge. there was one guy selling his on craigslist for only $250. it was gone in a week. but with the 99-02 you can correct the speedo for different gears and tires. while the 97-98 you cant. its a gear in the transfercase or tranny if your 2wd.

Bart Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
RE : Gears 4.56 or 4.27 or 4.11

As for the Edge programer its the way to go!!:rolleyes:, Im in the market on getting my gears done with ARB air lockers front and rear :D, I was considering 4.56 or 4.27 gears, also because I will be towing too, What are your RPM's at 60 or 70 MPH, and have you checked your MPG's ,just wondering if it had gottin any better or worse. Thanks!

OP
OP
Poppa Wheelie

Poppa Wheelie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think there are 427 available for the front diffs in these rigs. 4.10 or 4.56 only. As far as mileage, my computer doesn't have that function and I haven't gotten around to checking it manually. Around town it's probably better if you can keep your foot out of it. Which is hard to do, because that damn thing is so much quicker now!! Freeway unloaded, you might lose a little MPG, but with 6000 lbs of Weekend Warrior, I think the MPG is much better, well it just feels like it's not working as hard.
Plus a better crawl ratio and better engine braking. But the best things are pulling the toyhauler from a dead stop uphill, it just goes, before it felt like the tranny was going to explode. And on the interstate going 65-70 with the trailer puts the RPM right at peak torque in OD, so less gear hunting!!
The speedo being so far off, I have used my GPS to get a ballpark so I can guesstimate my true road speed, and at a true 55 mph I turn 1900 RPM. That's a lot, but I will be going to 35" tires as soon as this rigs paid off. Hopefully......

Last edited:

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
So what did everything end up costing you?

I'm planning on swapping out gears soon, but I kind of feel that if I'm going to all that trouble and expense, it seems silly to put the stock, open diff back in the front. ARB and e-lockers will add about $900 to the parts cost though.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
e locker will be cheaper and in a ifs it shouldnt be too bad. ive herd bad things with e lockers in solid axles, but good things in ifs. weird. but i still think arb is the way to go. and besides my uncles arb in the rear of his jeep has leaked twice on us. once when he was down here in the desert and once while we were on the for dyce trail. both times it fixed its self. which is weird cause air leaks dont fix them selves. haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65