GOTTS MOD on 3rd Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmercer3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I just finished reading all the threads of the GOTTS MOD, but most of them look like they were done on 1st-2nd gens. The last relevant thread pretty much ended in 2013.

So those with 3rd gen expy's, did you do the GOTTS MOD and what was your mpg gain? Did you do drop in filter or open full kit?

Im looking at doing the full magnaflow stainless and want to make sure I do the right thing with the intake without needing a programmer (tune).

Thanks.. lots of threads but not a lot on 3rd gens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dmercer3

dmercer3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
update

I have decided to start with these three things on my stock 5.4l 3v:
GOTTS MOD (w/ 'snorkel' from the F150 11')
aFe dry filter
Magnaflow stainless cat back exhaust system

I hope to log some MPGs prior to the installation for comparative analyses, just in case it helps someone down the road.

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I just finished reading all the threads of the GOTTS MOD, but most of them look like they were done on 1st-2nd gens. The last relevant thread pretty much ended in 2013.

So those with 3rd gen expy's, did you do the GOTTS MOD and what was your mpg gain? Did you do drop in filter or open full kit?

Im looking at doing the full magnaflow stainless and want to make sure I do the right thing with the intake without needing a programmer (tune).

Thanks.. lots of threads but not a lot on 3rd gens.

not trying to be an ******* about this but I get more air into my engine with a CAI more than this GOTTS mod people talk about
its cheap I understand that but you're not putting in a lot of air yes it does intake more air than the factory setup but a CAI is the best way to get more air.
a free flowing exhaust also help fuel economy and a few more ponies.
when I got my 2010 navigator new ( I have the same engine as you) I tried this GOTTS mod to see what it was all about I noticed nothing. on a chassis dyno I have I found no extra torque or HP.
certain mufflers affect fuel economy negatively some others help.
I will also point this out, a year after I bought my navigator I yanked the 5.4 out and grabbed a 5.4 big bore (351)ci block from MMR ported the factory 3 valve heads retained the factory camshafts added an 80MM TB and factory injectors not only did I increase engine output but I received better fuel economy than the 5.4l city driving I gained a lot more MPGs but high way driving I noticed it didn't change much.

OP
OP
dmercer3

dmercer3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not trying to be an ******* about this but I get more air into my engine with a CAI more than this GOTTS mod people talk about
its cheap I understand that but you're not putting in a lot of air yes it does intake more air than the factory setup but a CAI is the best way to get more air.
a free flowing exhaust also help fuel economy and a few more ponies.
when I got my 2010 navigator new ( I have the same engine as you) I tried this GOTTS mod to see what it was all about I noticed nothing. on a chassis dyno I have I found no extra torque or HP.
certain mufflers affect fuel economy negatively some others help.
I will also point this out, a year after I bought my navigator I yanked the 5.4 out and grabbed a 5.4 big bore (351)ci block from MMR ported the factory 3 valve heads retained the factory camshafts added an 80MM TB and factory injectors not only did I increase engine output but I received better fuel economy than the 5.4l city driving I gained a lot more MPGs but high way driving I noticed it didn't change much.

just sticking to your comment about the muffler for a second, what free flowing exhaust would you recommend in this case, as the magnaflow stainless is pretty much the only full system recommended that I have heard of.

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just sticking to your comment about the muffler for a second, what free flowing exhaust would you recommend in this case, as the magnaflow stainless is pretty much the only full system recommended that I have heard of.

well for one if your budget allows it I recommend short tube headers for trucks that is a major improvement.
I might be wrong but doesn't your expedition come with 4 catalytic converters?
the pre cats can be taken out. keep the cat that is on the middle close to the frame by the side a straight all the way back with a good muffler I like flowmaster series 40s not stupid loud. magna flow isn't bad but I heard that borla and dynomax mufflers hurt fuel economy.
my neighbor has a borla and it hurt his fuel economy. he hates that muffler he put a flowmaster on and retained factory economy.
ive heard several say this to me.
I use 1 cat and its a high flow cat from magnaflow. the pre cats tamper exhaust air flow.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ppl seem to not have any benefit with shorty headers on 2nd and 3rd gens

OP
OP
dmercer3

dmercer3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well for one if your budget allows it I recommend short tube headers for trucks that is a major improvement.
I might be wrong but doesn't your expedition come with 4 catalytic converters?
the pre cats can be taken out. keep the cat that is on the middle close to the frame by the side a straight all the way back with a good muffler I like flowmaster series 40s not stupid loud. magna flow isn't bad but I heard that borla and dynomax mufflers hurt fuel economy.
my neighbor has a borla and it hurt his fuel economy. he hates that muffler he put a flowmaster on and retained factory economy.
ive heard several say this to me.
I use 1 cat and its a high flow cat from magnaflow. the pre cats tamper exhaust air flow.

I had heard the same about the 40's and even 50's. I will one day look at headers, but im already stretching, it was important to me to replace more than just the muffler as this 10' has the brackets already pretty much rusted off down the length of the pipe.. just feel better starting with the entire pipe being stainless. From what I understand the 16378 Magna only has one cat also.

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
pople wont notice any gains in power out of any of these engine whether it is 1st 2nd and 3rd gen with headers LT or ST with free flowing exuahst systems because the power and torque increase are very minimal. headers offer better flow than factory manifolds do. this is what will help with fuel economy.

dmercer3- I have a 40 on my navigator sounds awesome. and a magnaflow cat.

keisha

Reaction score
Instead of the gotts mod get an intake snorkel from a 2011 f-150 it cost less than $15. It basically the same as doing the gotts mod I haven't seen a difference in mpgs but when you put your foot on the pedal you will notice a big difference

Last edited:
OP
OP
dmercer3

dmercer3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
good advice here thanks... I pulled the trigger on the magnaflow stainless full system and the F150 Snorkel with an aFe dry filter...

tempted to look at headers since some think its important, and I might just pay for the install rather than crawling around for a couple hours beneath this beast... so any recommendations on the 'shorty' headers?