Gotts Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Wow I've posted alot tonite ,last topic, can someone fill me in on this topic? I've seen pics of it done on an F-150 but not the 3V 05. I have means to all the supplies needed but a little nervous getting started, the battery needs to be disconnected correct? Will the truck run any worse? Wife will kill me if she finds out i'm tinkering:greenchainsaw: Other than a bug guard, mud flaps and a Ford receiver hitch, I'm ready to do a little perf. help I hope. Thanks Doug

I have done a few mods with mine...dont think the wife even noticed?! :boxed:

WECole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did a Gotts mod - and it is as simple as it looks. The white tube is a 5" long piece of 3" dia drainage pipe I got at Home Depot for less than $7

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...langId=-1&keyword=drainage+pipe&storeId=10051

I had originally tried to use PVC pipe, found it too hard to work with. The hole in the engine compartment wall is more oval than circle, so you have to sand/grind two sides down alot to get it to fit. I spent about 2 hrs sanding my piece of PVC pipe with a power sander and never got it to fit right, so I decided to try the softer and more flexible drainage pipe - best idea I ever had. Took less than 5 mins to cut and install the piece; it's worked great since.

Can't say if it's help the mpg's - I have an O2 sensor out that's messing up my mileage, but I've noticed a slight boost in acceleration comparied to before the mod when I really put my foot down - like accelerating onto the freeway (or yeah, running the occasional yellow light...)

Attachments

• IMG_2048.JPG
    IMG_2048.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 386

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a way of replacing the silencer w/ an after market high flow filter and then just remove the factory filter?

I threw away the silencer (including the "snorkel" that comes out of the filter housing) and replaced the factory filter with a K&N high flow filter (~$70 at Canadian Tire and it fits perfectly).

My truck is a bit louder without that silencer, but I love that!!!
I'll use that space where the silencer used to be (behind the left headlight) to install some air horns :D

@WECole: great idea on that flexible tube. I spent about 30 minutes sanding the heck out of the PVC pipe and still had to use a hammer and grease to ram it into the fender hole.

Last edited:

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
How far did you go though the hole on the fender with the pvc? just curious as when I did mine, I found out that there is a inner fender and then the outer fender...if you just hit the first one, the air just goes by it...I stuck a tape measure in the hole and measured to the outer fender and from the bottom and then tapered my pvc end to the curve of the outside fender which when the air come rushing though its directed into my cold air intake and dont blow right on by...my intake temps cool quicker.

Attachments

• DSC03597.jpg
    DSC03597.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 852
  • DSC03598.jpg
    DSC03598.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 665
  • DSC03599.jpg
    DSC03599.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 542
  • DSC03602.jpg
    DSC03602.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 995
  • DSC03606.jpg
    DSC03606.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,119

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a very interesting take on the mod, Steve.
I'm pretty confident I inserted it all the way through. It went in a lot.

mrocks05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What years does the GOTTs mod benefit. I have not really looked at my intake to see if it would be worth doing but I do know my air box looks different. I have an 09.

bar422

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would there be any benefit by just taking off the piece that goes into the fender? Air would still get in.....just from the engine area and the opening to the filter would be bigger. Just kind of wondering about this.